cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 8

crackling noise on the phone

Go to solution

There are 16 houses in my area and 7 of them have crackling on their landline phones BT said nothing wrong with the lines but we all cant be having a problem with our phone as all our phones are different and have all been bought at different times How do you get BT to look into this more without having all to pay £129.99 each as BT cant find a fault in their lines.. We are paying for a landline service which is not working properly. Thank you

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: crackling noise on the phone

Go to solution

Its Openreach that maintain the external network.

Who do you pay your line rental to, who is your Service Provider?

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

The £130 is not a guaranteed  charge that is raised for looking at a problem, it's a potential charge that may be raised if you call Openreach out on a fault, that turns out to be on something that OR are not responsible for, an example, say you have Sky TV with the Sky box plugged into the phone line, your line stops working, you contact BT about it, they say have you unplugged everthing and tried just a phone plugged into the master socket test point, if you say you won't do that and insist on an engineer visit, the engineer calls, unplugs the a Sky box, and your phone service returns, then most would agree that OR were called out unnecessarily , and the charge is justified, as OR are not responsible for faulty Sky TV boxes, and obviously in this case unplugging the Sky box would gave 'fixed' the problem without OR coming out

If your line is noisy, and is  noisy in the test socket, using a known fault free telephone, then you can report the issue confident that no charges will be raised, the 'warning' they give is so that, should the end user not check thier own equipment , wiring and sockets before calling OR out, then any resulting charge shouldn't come as a supprise to them , if they were fore warned

if others in the locality are suffering the same problem it suggests the problem is away from your home, but you still have to accept the potential for charges before BT  call OR out, otherwise, if the problem were on your own equipment, and they didn't warn you, then collecting the 'charge' becomes a problem, if the customer says no one told them about the charges, 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Hi my server is BT pay BT for everything

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

I have went through the process of testing everything they asked and they said they would have to send an engineer as everything seems ok from their end.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

this included plugging a known working corded phone into the test point of your main phone socket?

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

I have now discovered why the phone crackles. When the house was roughcasted by the council they roughcasted over the wires. Open reach engineer has explained but this will cost money as it is not a fault within BT. As the council was responsible we will be informing them of their error.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @jacquelineannash Thanks for posting back and letting the community know what caused the fault.

Cheers

John