Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pickledwalnut
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

elderly parent moving home

Go to solution

My 78 year old mother is due to move home on 3/3/11. It’s all been organised very quickly so my mother informed BT of the situation yesterday (28/2/11).  She was told that it would cost her £130 for an engineer and the earliest they could do this would be 21/3/11.  My mother has mobility problems and has a ‘careline’ pendant which goes through the phone line so that if she falls she can summon help.  This means that she will be without ‘careline’ assistance for 3 weeks.  I took the phone at this point to explain the situation and was told by the girl on the other end of the phone that “Even if it’s a matter of life and death, that’s the earliest we can do it.  We still have a backlog of work from the bad weather”!!!  When I got home I logged onto the BT website and checked the new property address and there is currently a line at the property, so why an engineer is needed is beyond me.

This morning I rang Customer Services to find out what was going on.  I went through to a ?Indian call centre and was told – after checking- that, yes, there was a line available at the new property and so no charge for an engineer.  And also that the current line at the new property would be disconnected on the move date and reconnected ‘a couple of days later’.  All good news, but I can’t help feeling that I was just given platitudes and told what I wanted to hear and I’m not at all confident that the phone line will be up and running anytime soon.  Therefore my mum is being put in a vulnerable position.  All we can do is just wait and see what happens.Smiley Indifferent

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: elderly parent moving home

Go to solution

Hi

Have you tried the dedicated phone numbers for homemoves  0800 100 400

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Hi Pickledwalnut,

Thanks for posting. I can check what's going on with the order. Drop me an email with the account details and any order references you might have and include a link to this thread. You'll find the address in my profile.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
pickledwalnut
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Thank you for your replies.  Sorry for the delayed reply but I've been at mum's helping with the move.  As I suspected, yesterday, she got a letter from BT (dated 1/3/11) stating that her line will be connected on 21/3/11 when an engineer will attend to see if the existing line is ok and the cost will be £130.  Her old line is now cut off and all she is left with is a PAYG mobile phone, which of course charges for 0800 numbers.  This makes it nigh on impossible to to ring BT and hold the line for ages whilst you wait for someone to answer your call.

devon dave - the number you have given is the one that gave us the 'life or death' response but thanks for taking the time to respond.

David M - I shall get my mum's account details when I see her today and email you the details.  It would be a great help if you could look into it for us.

0 Ratings
pickledwalnut
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Just an update and a huge 'Thanks' to the moderators who stepped in to help with my problem.

This afternoon I had a phone call from one of the moderators who has arranged to connect my mum's phone line tomorrow.  She will be given a temporary number until the old one can be allocated to the line at her new bungalow (probably Thursday) and she does not need an engineer to be called out and therefore doesn't need to pay the £130.

I'm am so grateful for the help given by the moderators as I can finally rest knowing that Mum can summon help if she needs it.  Thank you again.

0 Ratings
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Excellent result, well done to the Mod team again.

I know this is an old thread but there's one thing that confuses me - why was the phone cut off at the old address address when the move wasn't until 3/3/11 ?

Del.

0 Ratings