cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
1stanlee
Message 1 of 6

error message from dial tone "YOU CANNOT MAKE OR RECEIVE CALLS FROM THIS PHONE"

Go to solution

I have a home hub 2 broadband system with a second hub phone. Until Dec28th., I could make and receive calls normally. but sine then I get a dial tone, and immediately I start dialling, I receive the above message. I have spent 3/4 hours on the phone with BT service dept trying to resolve the issue. I am able to do this by using an old wired phone into the wall socket, and it works normally. BT have called me back on several occasions, and I can receive their call through my HUB phone, and even when speaking to them on it, they tell me that they are no longer continuing this service and I MUST have broadband talk, AND PAY for the new equipment.

How can they stop a paid for supply to their subscribers with no notification ? 

I can't be the omly one surely !!!

CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE ??

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: error message from dial tone "YOU CANNOT MAKE OR RECEIVE CALLS FROM THIS PHONE"

Go to solution

do you mean Broadband Talk?  you have a different number to your house phone and it appears on your bill separately?

BBT was intended to be pased out at end of 2013 but was postponed and then BT started to charge for the service but have not seen anything which said they are now terminating the service

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
1stanlee
Message 3 of 6

Re: error message from dial tone "YOU CANNOT MAKE OR RECEIVE CALLS FROM THIS PHONE"

Go to solution
No - i stopped broadband talk last year - I only have my home number
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@1stanlee wrote:
No - i stopped broadband talk last year - I only have my home number

You need to go into the hub settings and disable telephony. That prevents the phones from trying to place a call over the Internet.

0 Ratings
1stanlee
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
Keith_Beddoe - many thanks - just a shame BT couldn't point me in the right direction
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

I doubt the helpdesk would even be aware of Broadband Talk. If you cancelled it last year, I am surprise that you did not notice any issues right away.

I still pay and use BBT, and the PC based softphone. The anytime calls package was cheaper than the landline package, and the extra phone number is useful.

I have avoided renewing my broadband contract, as I would lose this facility.

0 Ratings