cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mapie
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

extended landlines

hello, WE have a landline. from the main sockets a wire comes out that seems to feed to additional points, one in same room, the other in another room.  the one in the other room is walled in... only the wire comes out in main room. The one is main room is not really working and unsightly. Can cut them off? or do I need a £130 + £75 engineer?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: extended landlines

@Mapie wrote:

hello, WE have a landline. from the main sockets a wire comes out that seems to feed to additional points, one in same room, the other in another room.  the one in the other room is walled in... only the wire comes out in main room. The one is main room is not really working and unsightly. Can cut them off? or do I need a £130 + £75 engineer?

Extention wiring and sockets are your responsibility so you can remove them your self 

0 Ratings
iamdanwalls
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

If it is your main socket, there will be a join across the middle with 2 screws. Undo the 2 screws and just the lower portion of the front should come away. A newer socket (NTE 5c) will not have the screws and can be removed by pinching the sides and pulling the front away.
Once the front is off, plug your phone into the test socket on the right hand side of the part that’s still attached to the wall. If there’s a dial tone (or your broadband works if you don’t have a phone), then any extensions can be removed. To disconnect an extension, simply pull the wires out of the connectors on the back of the front plate you removed. There may be a few wires in there, but only 2 or 3 are needed. For an NTE 5c, the test socket is in the middle of the part left connected to the wall and the extensions are connected to the connector to the left hand side of this. Disconnect by lifting the clear plastic piece from the bottom (it may be a bit tight) and remove the wires.
Older main sockets came with an instruction pamphlet to show users how to connect their own extension wiring, so there is no need for you to have an engineer visit which means no charge.
CJT80
Expert
Message 4 of 5

@Mapie

Does the socket look like this: 

2012openreachbrandednte5.JPG

If it does follow the advice given by @iamdanwalls

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
Mapie
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

WoW! Thanks ever so much! I thought I’d lost it all! We will try out what you’ve written and get back in touch once done! Bye for now!
0 Ratings