cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

intermittent slow broadband and no dial tone

Go to solution

I have seen a few old posts regarding this topic but no recent ones so I would lieke new info, please.

I have run basic diagnostics and the problem is local.   Broad band comes and goes and it is quite slow.  the phone has no dial tone and if I ring it from my mobile it sounds like it is ringiing but it actually doesn't.

I read a good explanation of how it could be that  this is caused by one of the two wires being conncected and the other one is not thus giving us broad band but no phone.

We are in a rural location and from the road to hour house is a long distance, about 150 meters, then the line goes in a conduit underground and into the house.    Are we responsible for all of that?  I have checked and there are no obvious over hanging trees or branches on the wire.  but we have had some strong winds.

An engineer visit is booked for Monday morning but if there is anything else I can try before then, just so I can make sure I can avoid being charged neraly £200 I am willing to try.

The soket is an Open Reach MK3 and I have opened it and tested the phone on the test socket but no good.

is this the main socket?   there is another socket  where the cable comes out of the ground under the stairs but the socket/plug combo is different and the phone would not plug in there (looks like a phone plug but it is biger and the springy clip is at the bottom and not the side).   there is also a junction box behind the sofa from the main (black) cable to a thinner white cable that runs all the way to the main MK3 box.  I have opened it just in case the loose wire was in there but it all seems ok, tested the phone again just in case, but still no good.

I don't have accesss to another phone but the one I have seems to work in all other ways, ie the lights are on and it makes a noise when I put it into the docking station.

Hope my post is clear enough and you can make sense of this...

Any advice clearly appreciated!

Cristina

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: intermittent slow broadband and no dial tone

Go to solution
If there is no dial tone on your phone, you need to report a phone fault to 151. As you have seen, your broadband is working without a working phone service, but very slow. Until your phone fault is resolved, your broadband will never improve. You should be very insistent on getting an engineer.

Have you tried connecting to the test socket? It should be behind the faceplate on the master socket. If you use the test socket and your phone works normally, you will be charged £129.99 as the problem will be with your internal wiring.
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

thank you SuperSajuuk for your quick reply.  

yes I have tried the test socket and no joy.

I have made a call and an engineer is due here on Monday but the call center pertson kept insisting about the 199£ charge if the problem is solvable by me so I am making supershure there is nothing else I could  be doing first.  

0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution
@cristinabarabino The call center always states there's a charge but if you've used the test socket and there is still no dial tone, there will be no charge because the fault is outside your home.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

hope so , thanks!

0 Ratings