cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
teasel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

master socket installation

Hello,  I had Open Reach come around today to install fibre but they weren't able to because the flat i have moved into doesn't have a visible master socket (did say this to BT initially).  The engineer was able to locate a line/phone wires using his tracing machine but the previous tenants i think removed the BT master socket and plastered up the hole.  This means i have BT wires coming into my flat but no way to access them as they are hidden in the wall i.e my flat wall in the hallway!

I would need to get a builder to open up the hole again and pull through the cables into a master socket.  The question I have is, if the builder can open up the previous hole and locate the wires, can i buy a master socket box thing and hook up the wires to the socket?  I would ideally get this (smaller box compared to the open reach one) chased into the wall and then have a cable going from this to the open reach socket, which would be located in another room.  The master socket comes into the hallway hence not wanting the protruding open reach box. 

Confused as to next steps as all i want at the moment is a master socket...

Thanks for any help in advance.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: master socket installation

@teasel 

As you are only the tenant, then any work would have to be agreed by the landlord, and would have to be done by a qualified person.

If the main line comes in overhead, then Openreach can be asked to re-locate the master socket to where you want it.

If it comes in underground, then you would need to provide access for Openreach to fit a master socket. You can then run your own extension from that master socket.

It would normally be an NTE 5C that would be fitted by Openreach.

If you attempt to do it yourself, then there is no way that Openreach are going to investigate if it does not work, without charging you for the visit to put it right.

Carlusha
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

You said "Tenants". Well, as far as I am aware, tenants are NOT allowed to make such changes without permission from the building management company who act on behalf of the owner. The building management company should not be confused with whichever estate agent collects the rent.

You might be able to get the building management company to put this right as not everyone owns a mobile phone. I would fire off an email to them or give them a call.

EDIT - my post crossed that of @Keith_Beddoe 

teasel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

apologies, i meant owner, the previous owner and me as the owner of this flat now.

Carlusha
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

@teaselwrote:

apologies, i meant owner, the previous owner and me as the owner of this flat now.

Ah, no problem.

0 Ratings
teasel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Rather than opening up the wall, the open reach engineer's tracing tool seemed to show that the wires were coming from the ceiling so possibly from the ground in the building block and up into the attic then down the wall.  if that is the case, i.e. the connection is from above, i guess i can get a BT engineer to maybe drill through the ceiling to pull cable through - is that possible?  would pay for the engineer.  or maybe just need a completely new line installed somehow - something which negates the need to open up a wall...

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

BT Retail do not have field engineers, that would be Openreach.

I would suggest you contact BT Retail again, and ask for another Openreach visit to do an internal shift, and relocate the master socket to another location.

Openreach would have sent the original task back as incomplete, so its going to need another visit anyway.

0 Ratings
teasel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Thanks. Not sure why the open reach engineer didn’t suggest that. Maybe he was not an engineer for relocations just the broadband installation...

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

@teasel wrote:

Thanks. Not sure why the open reach engineer didn’t suggest that. Maybe he was not an engineer for relocations just the broadband installation...

He would not have been allocated the time to do the work needed, as it was expected that a line existed, probably based on existing records, and a line test which would indicated a missing NTE, but the correct line length, so it would have just needed an NTE fitting.

The NTE has test components which the BT line test system can detect, and if one is detected, a visit is not normally made unless the customer has problems getting a connection.

0 Ratings