cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
itcor
Message 1 of 5

new house | dead phone

Apologies if this has been answered before & I haven't seen it

Moving into a new (for me) property shortly.

It has a BT master socket that's dead (no dial tone). Seems to be cabled to the outside world OK

How do I go about getting this line re-activated, at what cost?

I do not want BT to provide phone/adsl - these will be provided by others

Any help gratefully received

Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: new house | dead phone

@itcor wrote:

How do I go about getting this line re-activated, at what cost?

I do not want BT to provide phone/adsl - these will be provided by others

Any help gratefully received

Thanks

You will have to contact the other service providers, its Openreach that provide the connections, and they only deal with orders from Service Providers.

BT Retail have nothing to do with the provision of lines, unless you are buying their services.

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 5

Openreach will charge the their customer, the Service Provider such as Sky, BT or Talk Talk £130. How much it costs to reactivate the phone line depends on which service provider you go with, what contract length you take out with them and whether they have any promotional offers on at the time you place the order.

So if you know what service provider you want to go with just call them and ask how much they will charge you for the installation fee.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
meman887
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

@plainview wrote:

Openreach will charge the their customer, the Service Provider such as Sky, BT or Talk Talk £130. How much it costs to reactivate the phone line depends on which service provider you go with, what contract length you take out with them and whether they have any promotional offers on at the time you place the order.

So if you know what service provider you want to go with just call them and ask how much they will charge you for the installation fee.

Some service providers that I've contacted in the past before I had an active line, won't touch a person with a barge poll if the phoneline is dead, a few being SKY, Post Office and Talk Talk.

There only interested with people who already have an active phone line and all they'll do is point you in the direction of BT Retail.

The only ones that would even remotely be interested, would be 02 or there sister company BE, since BE have there own Wholesale devision.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Motto:
Going to kill my HomeHub 2 very soon. 🙂
0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 5

In the old days, pre Openreach and LLU it was a case Sky, TALK TALK, etc would only do a working line take over from BT.

Since the creation of Openreach though you can do a brand new provide via any service provider, you don't need the line activating.

This is one of the reasons the BT Group plc created Openreach because how would you feel if you had a business and spent hundreds of pounds installing lines because other SP's didn't want to incur the cost themselves.

Anyway, there is no way you can 'activate' the phone without signing up to an SP so even if you called BT then you would be tieing yourself into a minimum 12 month contract or face an early termination charge.

0 Ratings