cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dylew1
Message 1 of 6

not sure if on right board.... question re main phone socket, broadband & vision! HELP!

just moved to new propety there is one phone socket in hall way, cables for bt vision (yellow one) and broadband & phone are not long enough to have them plugged into phone socket and mains.  i've tried phoning BT for assistance to no avail, can i run an phone extension to my lounge and plug everything in there or does the bt vision and internet need to be plugged directly into main phone socket?

I'm really stuck with this and have wires all over the place!!  ANY advice would be appreciated!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: not sure if on right board.... question re main phone socket, broadband & vision! HELP!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I assume that you have a BT Home hub? the yellow cable from your vision will plug into that.

If it is not long enough there are a few choices:

1. Install your own telephone socket extension kit and install socket near your vision box, then plug home hub into here and then plug the yellow cable into the home hub.

2. Purchase a long replacement yellow cable, and leave HH in hallway.

3. Purchase a pair of devices call powerline adaptors from that well known internet auction site, leave HH in hall, plug one adaptor into an electrical socket in hall, plug other one at back of TV, use yellow cable to plug into this adaptor and then use another cable that is supplied with powerline adaptors to plug to plug into your HH

(note, these adaptors extend what the yellow cable would do over the electrical wiring in your house.)

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
tamar
Message 3 of 6

Re: not sure if on right board.... question re main phone socket, broadband & vision! HELP!

I have the same problem! How the heck do you install your own socket extension and will everything work off this? Is it easy to do? I'm not technically minded. maybe I will just cancel taking my BT Vision and BB with me and make do with freeview and plusnet or some other BB supplier, or one of these "dongles" I keep hearing about...load of hassle this moving house is.
0 Ratings
tamar
Message 4 of 6

I'm not a "visitor" as it says, I just registered
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

Hi and welcome to the forum.

To install a socket is relatively easy you can buy the ready made kits from many major DIY chains. The kit would come complete with a set length of cable, the clips to hold it to the wall, a sochet and hopefully a punchndown tool to terminate the wires. Trere is always a set of instructions explaining what coloured wire is connected to where.

Alternatively seek the advice of a telecoms engineer or electrician. If you can always avoid the flat type extension cable that would just plug into the phone socket, due to the fact that the wiring is not what is known as twisted pair, as this can induce noise and affect your broadband speeds.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

You are shown as a visitor as it is only your second post your board status changes dependent on your forum posting activity
0 Ratings