Did you mean: 
Highlighted
pal52
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

phone sockets

hello

can someone help

I was told that there is a problem with the line socket (BT main socket) and at the moment the phone line is running from the Test Socket inside the box.

WHere can I get a new line socket from

Peter

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: phone sockets

Do you have BT Broadband, or just a normal phone line?

You have to buy the whole master socket, and just use the faceplate.

See http://www.amazon.co.uk/NTE5a-BT-section-connection-extension/dp/B003TQXJ82/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

For normal one

Or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ATL-ADSL-Faceplate-Splitter-NTE5/dp/B0025X4OJS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=132646...

for Broadband

0 Ratings
pal52
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

hello Keith

we have a phone line and broadband with a BT home hub.

The line socket is the one with the face plate split in half when you remove the two screws you get to the test socket on the right hand side,

Peter

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

If you can plug the home hub into the place where the master socket is, then the second link I gave is the one you want.

You plug the phone into the phone socket, and the hub into the ADSL socket, no microfilters are needed.

Any extensions are connected to the back of the faceplate.

More info here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm

See NTE5 A Faceplate
(ADSL)

ADSL splitter faceplate for
NTE5 units

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

if you use a filtered faceplate then just remember that your broadband will only work in this socket and will not work in any extension sockets

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pal52
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

hello

thanks for your replies

looking at the descriptions i need the NTE5A master socket

i will get one from amazon as suggested

thank you

peter

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

It seems a bit of a waste, when you only need the faceplate. There must be loads of people with spare faceplates, who have changed theirs for a filtered one. You will not be able to change the back part of the NTE, as that is the property of Openreach.

Its a bit strange that your original faceplate was deemed faulty, unless its physically broken, as there is nothing inside them.

Are you sure the diagnostic was correct?

Are you sure that its not your extension wiring causing the problem? Changing the faceplate is not going to fix that.

Plugging into the test socket disconnects the extension wiring.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 16

Hi, as Keith says it is very unlikely that the front plate is faulty its more likely gonna be either wiring or something plugged in that has gone faulty
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
pal52
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

hello again.

right, when i plug the filter and phone line into the face plate the phone light on the hub flashes amber and the phone is not working.

Plug the filter into the test socket and everything is ok

any help please

peter

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 16

Do have any wires attached to the rear of the removable front plate? If you do these wires will be going off to other sockets in the house.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings