cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bernardo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

puzzled

My phone line is completely dead, "fault at exchange" apparently, yet I still have Infinity BB at normal speed.

How can that be?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
rhyds
Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: puzzled

The voice part of a phone line is dealt with using different exchange equipment from the broadband part. Also, with infinity, your broadband connection only travels as far as your street cabinet before being converted over to fibre.

0 Ratings
bernardo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Right, many thanks for that.

So really is fault at exchange, not the last few hundred yds of crumbly old aluminium to my house

0 Ratings
rhyds
Expert
Message 4 of 6

As far as I can tell (I don't have infinity) then a fault in your pair from the house to the cabinet would knock infinity out or slow it down. If that's still working as usual the fault could either be the pair between the cab and the exchange, or the line card in the exchange (the line card is the interface between your actual phone line and the Exchange equipment)

bernardo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

yes the BB speed is as good as ever, and as the BB signal and voice come down the same pair of wires, clearly fault has to be on the exchange side of the pathway.

The new Infinity cabinet is alongside the original cabinet. I always assumed that the both my phone and BB signals would go thru the newer cab, but maybe the phone signal still goes thru the old cabinet, and that's where the fault occurred. makes sense I suppose.

Thanks for yr insight.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

yes the voice part of your line is still routed via the original street cabinet