Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arifax
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

"first ring" setting

Go to solution
Just got a quad BT 8500 and am delighted with Call Guardian.

One thing is confusing me. In "Call Control" I can turn "First ring" on or off. This isn't in the setting to make the answerphone pick up on the first ring - that is elsewhere.

There is nothing in the manual, nor the on line help, to tell me what the "First Ring" setting does.

Does anyone know?

TIA

Arifx
Geoff
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: "first ring" setting

Go to solution

@Arifax wrote:
Just got a quad BT 8500 and am delighted with Call Guardian.

One thing is confusing me. In "Call Control" I can turn "First ring" on or off. This isn't in the setting to make the answerphone pick up on the first ring - that is elsewhere.

There is nothing in the manual, nor the on line help, to tell me what the "First Ring" setting does.

Does anyone know?

TIA

Arifx

Geoff, there is a Freephone number for the helpdesk if the phone is within warranty:

By phone: 0800 145 6789

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Arifax
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution
Thanks, but I tried that and they were shut 😞

I was hoping to get a reply tonight.

Geoff
Geoff
0 Ratings
jpadeutsch
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

That setting is something to do with whether the first ring of an incoming call is allowed to ring the phone bell, or if it should wait for the second ring. I've read elsewhere that sometimes the caller id info does not come through until the second ring. Presumably if the 8500 nade its decision on the first ring it would not always have the call id on which to base its decision.

I've just inatalled an 8500 and left setting at its default.

John

Maydays
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks, John. I've been trying to figure out that call settings menu myself.

Do you know what "Auto Join Calls" (in the same menu) means?

0 Ratings
jpadeutsch
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

I believe that if set, you can join a call in progress on an additional handset just by picking it up (or by pressing the green button if you do not have auto-answer set). - Just like you used to be able to on corded phones connected to different sockets.

By the way I have found that I can't use auto-answer on the 8500 because when it connects immediately on picking up the phone, I can't hear the announcement message for new callers. By the time it is near enough to my ear for me to hear it, the announcement has already finished. I find the announcments and answer phone playback very quiet even on maximum volume.

Arifax
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
Many thanks for all the replies.

John is right - it's to cope with exchanges that send the first ring and then the caller ID.

Geoff
Geoff
0 Ratings
Mikeatwh
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution
It's linked to the way the guardian call back (can be) configured to works !
If guardian is switched on and the caller isn't in your phone book, then the screening process starts.
If " first ring" is Set to ON you will receive a single rings followed by the call back from the guardian screening process with the message identifying who is calling. It act like a pre warning that guardian is screening the call. Can be a bit confusing if you not aware,since after the first single ring there is bound to be a short delay while the caller is recording their name etc. and the guardian calls you back 😱
If "first ring" is set to OFF you donet get the "pre ring call" before guardian takes over.
If guardian is switched off , it doesn't have any effect since the phone will ring X times as normal
Tags (2)
0 Ratings
Lurkalot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Also if you have another ordinary extension phone on the same circuit, it will ring or tinkle once before the Call Guardian kicks in, which is a nuisance, so we turned first ring OFF for that reason.  I find Call Guardian might still force Allowed calls to be Announced instead.

0 Ratings