Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brissle
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

remote access to voice messages from abroad

Hi everyone,

We would be grateful for some advice,please.

We are visiting family in New Zealand for 2 months and before we left home we set up the pin number to allow remote access to any messages which might come in whilst we are away.

We have tried calling our home number several times and have followed the instructions - enter * when the recorded message starts and then, when prompted we enter the PIN number.  We are absolutely certain that we have the PIN correct - we tested it before we left england.

But each time we get a message saying that the PIN is incorrect.

How do we get round this?    Can we remotely re-set the PIN again?

Stupidily we didn't think to bring the handbook with us - we thought everything was set to work properly.....

Help>>>>>>!!!!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: remote access to voice messages from abroad

Are you calling from a landline, as the tones may be different and not recognised?

Try using a mobile.

0 Ratings
brissle
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

I'm using Skype from our laptop - the call connects OK.  Calling from our O2 UK mobile would be pretty pricey, I reckon.

0 Ratings
brissle
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

We don't have BT broadband -  just BT landline.

0 Ratings
Neil1
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Is there an online version of the handbook?

0 Ratings
brissle
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

possibly, but I have no idea what is the model of our phone at home.

I'm not even sure how the messaging service works - i.e. whether it's a BT based service or whether it's a feature on the home phone.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

@brissle that sounds like the BT Answer 1571 service where you can access your messages remotely. It uses touch tone to identify the pin you're entering, does skype offer this feature when calling? 

If it is the 1571 service you are referring to the pin can only be set up when calling from your home phone for security and can't be reset remotely.

0 Ratings
brissle
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

am away from WiFi for next couple of days so any responses from me will be delayed. Thanks for help so far.
0 Ratings
brissle
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

I'm sure you are correct - the 1571 service rings a bell (no pun intended) so it seems I am stuck.

I'm just cross with myself that we set the pin and double-checked it worked before we left home and now it fails to work once we get abroad.  And yes, Skype does allow me to input the star and PIN - it all sounds normal when I'm doing it, until I get the "wrong PIN" message.

Oh well, we are off camping for the weekend, so I'll just forget it for now.

thanks again.

0 Ratings