cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chiadfhear
Beginner
Message 11 of 24

Re: scam phone call

We received an automated phone call just after 1 o'clock this afternoon from 01320966081 (Fort Augustus, Highland Region, Scotland)  stating it was from BT and our broadband was to be terminated today.  Immediately reported it to https://www.bt.com/help/home/scams/

This isn't the first one we've received but all previous numbers, and this one, have been added to our blacklist ... as will any more be.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 24

Just to make it clear, these have nothing to do with BT Retail. Customers of other Service Providers get the same calls.

If you respond, then they know there is a real person on the end, and will add you to a "suckers" list, and you will get even more calls, so just hang up and do not speak, or press any buttons.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 24

@chiadfhearwrote:

We received an automated phone call just after 1 o'clock this afternoon from 01320966081 (Fort Augustus, Highland Region, Scotland)  stating it was from BT and our broadband was to be terminated today.  Immediately reported it to https://www.bt.com/help/home/scams/

This isn't the first one we've received but all previous numbers, and this one, have been added to our blacklist ... as will any more be.

Hi.

For information, the call was not from Fort Augustus. The number range 01320 96 has been allocated to Voiceflex Limited. They deal with VoIP systems. It would certainly be intriguing if the number was real (rather than the usual VoIP spoofed number), however it's extremly unlikely to be real.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
tickhill
Expert
Message 14 of 24

When BT call you a specific number appears on your Caller Display.
That is always an 0800 number - usually 0800 328 9393
Scam calls can display a UK Regional Number (or even an International Number) so if someone says they are from BT and they are not displaying an 0800 number be cautious.
If you haven't go Caller Display then the above obviously not possible so take usual precaution and on completion dial 1471 and see if it says what number called you.

0 Ratings
tickhill
Expert
Message 15 of 24

I had my first such call today  Very professional voice telling my phone and broadband would be terminated today and to press 1 for help.   I pressed the call terminate key.

Mine was said to be from Barnard Castle (01833).  Blocked and reported as scam.

In terms of the scam report I think it would be useful if there was a box to say what the scam was - ie. saying from BT or saying from Bank

0 Ratings
tickhill
Expert
Message 16 of 24

Another today to add to the list.  02054139999

Tells you it does not exist at the fourth digit if tried

Have reported it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 24

@tickhillwrote:

Another today to add to the list.  02054139999

Tells you it does not exist at the fourth digit if tried

Have reported it.

020 4, 020 5, 020 6 ranges have not been allocated or anything by OFCOM.

0 Ratings
tickhill
Expert
Message 18 of 24

Going at high speed today.

Had three scam calls within three hours this morning.  Refused to answer as not recognised by when doing a recall (from another line and prefixed with 141) go the message that the number has not been recognised - so did not exist.

0207 650 1954

01845 283470

01730 964763

Blacklisted and reported... but seems little resolve to track these individuals down.  Just let them carry on until they run out of steam seems to be the attitude.

0 Ratings
citizenz
Contributor
Message 19 of 24

I do not think that people should publish the numbers on here.  It has already been stated they are not the numbers of the actual call, they seem to be randomly generated.  New word for this: spoof.  

I rather presume they are actually from India, since before the change to a recorded message they were called things like Norman and but have very distinct accents.   

I would like to know why it is so difficult for BT to stop the calls?    What concerns me is that BT customer information is somehow leaking out of its call centres in India.  For example do people who have never contacted a BT Indian call centre have these calls.   If I have a 'Chat' with BT do I then get more calls?  

They must be making millions of calls everyday.  Why can't the source be identified?   Is it possible to make spoofing more difficult if not impossible?     

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 20 of 24

If the calls are not made by BT Customers in this country how can BT stop them ?, BT Wholesale  do have at a network level a certain amount of success stopping scam call attempts and BT do make call blocking facility's available to thier customers , but it's impossible to stop 100%...do you believe it's only BT customers that get these calls , what about Virgin , Sky or Talk Talk customers, they get these calls too, and obviously BT have zero involvement there.
You seem to be under the impression that 'BT' are the industry police and it's their responsibility to stop this happening globally , but they are not.
You say they must be making ££ millions every day , how ?, the scammers use VOIP, and if paying anything at all for the 10's of thousands of calls they make,  it will be to their complicit supplier in India ( or wherever the scammer is based )

As far as leaking customer info, chances are they call numbers sequentially , they now use phrases like ' I'm calling from your ISP' as they don't know who your ISP is, when they did say they were calling from 'BT' it was playing the percentages, BT are the biggest UK provider, so  chances are ( probably) that 4 in 10 calls that get an answer , it would be a BT customer, 6 in 10 would  know it's  a scam as they wouldn't  even be a BT customer.

0 Ratings