cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 21 of 24

Re: scam phone call

@citizenzwrote:

I do not think that people should publish the numbers on here.  It has already been stated they are not the numbers of the actual call, they seem to be randomly generated.  New word for this: spoof.  

I rather presume they are actually from India, since before the change to a recorded message they were called things like Norman and but have very distinct accents.   

I would like to know why it is so difficult for BT to stop the calls?    What concerns me is that BT customer information is somehow leaking out of its call centres in India.  For example do people who have never contacted a BT Indian call centre have these calls.   If I have a 'Chat' with BT do I then get more calls?  

They must be making millions of calls everyday.  Why can't the source be identified?   Is it possible to make spoofing more difficult if not impossible?     

For example do people who have never contacted a BT Indian call centre have these calls.   If I have a 'Chat' with BT do I then get more calls?  

They must be making millions of calls everyday.  Why can't the source be identified?   Is it possible to make spoofing more difficult if not impossible?     

Yes in answer to your question, I get these calls and  I have never contacted a BT Indian call centre.

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 24

It is ridiculed that BT run the phone system and still allow this to happen they need to prosecute the people that are sending these scam phone calls my elderly step father was duped out of £140 from one of these scams, he's now got the money back from his bank. BT has to take some responsibility
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 24

@KVLocke wrote:
 BT has to take some responsibility.

Why? It is not BT that is making the calls nor are they responsible for how others from around the world use the phone system.

BT and the other Telecoms companies have no way of knowing who the users who make these calls are or what they doing without "listening" in on the calls to see if they are genuine calls.

Others have suggested that BT and the other phone companies should block VOIP (Voice Over the Internet Phone).

As most large companies, Police, Fire, Utility companies, some domestic users etc use VOIP this would not be feasible. 

BT are aiming to "turn off" the "normal" phone service by 2025 which will mean that all calls will be made either by mobile phone or via the Internet using VOIP.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 24 of 24

If they switch off calls that will be a huge problem for two friends of mine who live in mobile not spots.  They will have to ensure 100% mobile coverage.  

Due to some kind of problem Vodafone switched off their signal here for several months.     Rumour had it that it was a contractural issue with the landowner where the  mast was situated.   We rather felt that they should have paid someone else to allow our calls to roam.   

I am sorry but I feel that BT have a duty to ensure that their customers are not harassed by the phone system.   And with several scam calls per day, I feel harassed.  And my husband is very harassed by them.  

0 Ratings