cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
g4jnw
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

whose property is this part of the line?

I am in an old terrace property and the overhead line comes down the wall - looks reasonably newish into a black socket and the same on the otherside, down the rest of the wall, through the wall to a square box, loads of wires in that box and its small, then out of that runs a cable which looks like its been there forever and feels brittle. That cable goes to the back of a new master socket (split broadband and phone type - side by side)

I am getting intermittant drop outs of broadband and phone plus echoing on the phone. Its been remotely tested, phone and broadband by BT online and they find no faults.

I called this morning and they can send an engineer out but if its IN my property then i may be charged.

The question is, if the wiring is faulty between the junction box or in the junction box before the master socket is it my responsibility as the advisor did not know.

I can't reproduce the problem, it just happens and then comes back within minutes, like a semi break in the wire somewhere.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: whose property is this part of the line?

You won't pay the fee if:
The fault is in BT’s network
If the fault is with your BT hub and it is in warranty (contract)
If the fault is with your BT TV box (in or out of warranty)
If you have the same fault within 28 days
In case of BT Infinity, if you call within 28 days after the install
In case of BT Infinity, if the Openreach Fibre modem needs replacing
They are registered as a Chronically Sick and Disabled Person
You will pay the fee if the fault's with:
Your home wiring past the main socket, for example, extensions
The way you've got your equipment connected
Interference from something, for example your phone, alarm system, micro-filter or broadband router
Damage to our network, for example cut wire, damage from building work, trees or pets, or damage to sockets
0 Ratings
g4jnw
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Thats the point, it is between the junction box or in the junction box, i show pictures here of the junction box (old telecom one) the newish master socket and the old wiring from the junction box to the master socket.

Also note that some idiot placed the radiator or the master socket (not sure which came first) next to each other so has the heat from the radiator (which the wiring goes behind) caused a breakdown?

If BT say the heat has caused problems to the wiring I guess i have to pay?

If thats the case can i get an independant to replace the cable from the junction box and run a cable somewhere different with a new box or is that BT's job and chargeable?

Difficult issue until i can find out who is responsible for charges.

Would appreciate the views now you have seen the photo's IMG_0770.jpgIMG_0771.jpgIMG_0772.jpg

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

Generally the wire into the back of the master socket is OR's responsibility , that's why when you plug into the master socket test port , everything you are responsible for is disconnected , and you obviously should be confident that the phone you are using to test is fault free. The only time you would be charged for something that's OR's side of the master socket test port, is if the problem isn't caused by fair wear and tear, so if a cable coming thru a window was damaged by window fitters changing the window , or if an outside wire was hacked through with a garden strimmer that would be chargeable even though it's ORs side of the master socket....your issue with the socket being very close to a radiator could be a grey area, if it is the radiator causing the problem. Looking at the photo , relocating the master socket doesn't look to difficult, it may even be possible to move it without even disconnecting the wiring from the rear of the master socket. Your master socket has an interstitial face place, make sure you remove it and test from the test port to ensure its not the interstitial plate that's causing the problem
g4jnw
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for that, it was worth posting pictures so you could see, so if the wiring from the junction to the Master socket is BT then i can't get anyone to renew the wiring apart from BT?

If it needed new wiring or moving what you can't see is the cable runs at the back of the radiator and the radiator partially goes under the work surface - a real poor job - then through the back of the worksurface and on to the window ledge where the junction box sits and then out through the window frame.

I dont suppose i could persuade BT to move it to the back (where in a terrace house) as it would have to be strung from a different pole so the only way would be to replace the socket and wiring somewhere else in the kichen.

Whichever way it moves would be expensive if BT were to do the work and yes i agree it would be a grey area about the wire running so near the radiator.

0 Ratings
CJT80
Expert
Message 6 of 7

@g4jnw wrote:

I am in an old terrace property and the overhead line comes down the wall - looks reasonably newish into a black socket and the same on the otherside, down the rest of the wall, through the wall to a square box, loads of wires in that box and its small, then out of that runs a cable which looks like its been there forever and feels brittle. That cable goes to the back of a new master socket (split broadband and phone type - side by side)

I am getting intermittant drop outs of broadband and phone plus echoing on the phone. Its been remotely tested, phone and broadband by BT online and they find no faults.

I called this morning and they can send an engineer out but if its IN my property then i may be charged.

The question is, if the wiring is faulty between the junction box or in the junction box before the master socket is it my responsibility as the advisor did not know.

I can't reproduce the problem, it just happens and then comes back within minutes, like a semi break in the wire somewhere.

@g4jnw Good Morning, 

1st thing to check, as suggested by @iniltous remove the faceplate, and you will find a test socket.  Plug a known working phone (preferably corded if you have one) into the socket.  Does it echo?  If you are with BT for your services dial 17070 and follow the option for a quiet line test.  Is it still noisy?  IF it is ring BT and report a line fault on your phone service (don't mention Broadband)

Depending on the outcome you could try this: 

Next for the Broadband, do you have a microfilter?  If you do plug that into the test socket, along with the phone, and switch your router on, leave it for a day or so (if you can) and keep an eye on it's performance.  Does it drop out? 

If it doesn't or the line isn't noisy when you have removed the faceplate, then the faceplate is likely to be at fault.  You can get an up to date version online. 

I will reply to the other part of your post regarding the socket location. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
CJT80
Expert
Message 7 of 7

@g4jnw wrote:

Thanks for that, it was worth posting pictures so you could see, so if the wiring from the junction to the Master socket is BT then i can't get anyone to renew the wiring apart from BT?

If it needed new wiring or moving what you can't see is the cable runs at the back of the radiator and the radiator partially goes under the work surface - a real poor job - then through the back of the worksurface and on to the window ledge where the junction box sits and then out through the window frame.

I dont suppose i could persuade BT to move it to the back (where in a terrace house) as it would have to be strung from a different pole so the only way would be to replace the socket and wiring somewhere else in the kichen.

Whichever way it moves would be expensive if BT were to do the work and yes i agree it would be a grey area about the wire running so near the radiator.

The engineer can check if the wire from the junction box is at fault, and will replace it if it is.  At that point you could ask the engineer to if they could move the socket to somewhere near by.  I honestly doubt he/she would be willing to move it to an entirely new location in a different part of the house. 

I believe moving it to another location in the house is considered an "Internal Shift" and would be charged at £130 - http://www.bt.co.uk/pricing/current/Exch_Lines_boo/1294_d0e5.htm 

I'd suggest testing a few bits before going forward. Smiley Happy

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings