Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Adding a device to the BT hub 3

Appreociate this has been asked a few times before, but slightly different for me as I can't see anyone trying this with a Mac.

So I want to add an HP8640 wireless printer to the hub. I can see the printer from my Mac, and I used to have the printer wired to the BT hub via a LAN cable, but want to replace that wired connection with a wifi one.

My take on it is that the overly simplistic interface for the Hub is the big problem here - it won't allow you to add another device - but happy to be proved wrong.

I can find plenty of instructions as to how this works with a PC, but not with Apple.

Any thoughts most welcome!

Many thanks

Distinguished Sage

Re: Adding a device to the BT hub 3

Is it a typo in the name of the printer, HP6840 rather than HP8640 as I couldn't find an HP8640.

Have you tried following the guide on the HP website.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00146862&tmp_task=useCategory&cc=uk&dlc=en&lang...

Beginner

I had a similar problem with my HP J4680. I hit to the tools (spanner) button and selected wireless set up - found my BT Hub 3 and it connected. All is fine now.

Thanks both for your input, but weegrodon is on the money, given that all the software was installed (and i'd already moved the printer some distance from the router!)

I had to find the IP address that had been assigned to the printer. Plugged that in to a web browser then found my way to wireless networking connections. The router popped up, I plugged in the WPA and it all worked from there. 

All the best

Tony