Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner
Accepted Solution

Changed BT Home Hub 4's IP address and now wifi devices can't obtain IP address

Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help me out here.

My BT Infinity connection started today and in the main everything is working fine with one major exception.

I have changed the IP address of the hub from 192.168.1 to 192.168.0 to match all the existing devices on my wired LAN and all the wired devices connect fine.

However all of my wireless devices (smart phones, nexus 7, etc) say they can connect but then go through an "authenticating ... obtainining IP address" endless loop without actually connecting.

If I change the connection, on the wireless device, from DHCP to static then it thinks the default IP address of the phone is 192.168.1.254 even though I have changed the Home Hub to be on 192.168.0.xxx ?

Is there some obvious setting on the hub I haven't set or turned on ? Is it an issue with the wireless device ? Or is there a problem with hub ?

TIA for any help.

Regards,

Contributor

Re: Changed BT Home Hub 4's IP address and now wifi devices can't obtain IP address

When you changed the router address, did you change the dhcp range on the router as well?  If not, the router will be handing out 192.168.1.* addresses, even though the gateway address is .0.*

If you connect on one of the wired connections, you should be able to update that, or you can just set fixed addresses on the wireless devices, in the same manner as you have the wired.

Beginner

Re: Changed BT Home Hub 4's IP address and now wifi devices can't obtain IP address

I did change the DHCP range as well (went for the last option where you can choose your own range of IPs).

I am tempted to get go down the fixed route but this would only solve the issue for devices I have - friends who come round won't be able to do that (or at least not very easily).

Contributor

Have you tried removing and re-creating the wireless connections on the devices?  Just in case they are retaining the details from when the router was on the .1.* range?

Beginner

[ Edited ]

I think so ... well, all my Android phone seems to let me do is "forget" the connection and re-scan. It may well still be holding 'old' DHCP details somewhere.

Reading FAQs on here, it might also be a problem with both bands on the hub having the same SSID (which is a known issue with some Android devices). I will try renaming one of the SSIDs tonight as well.

Beginner

Bizarrely - in order to fix another issue I had to move the hub to another part of the house and all my wireless devices are now connecting instantly Smiley Frustrated