Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner
Accepted Solution

High ping/latency on Xbox Live

[ Edited ]

I currently have BT Infinity 2 on a Home Hub 5, but I'm having problems with the wireless connection on my Xbox One. My ping/latency is around 170ms.

On my wired PC my stats are as follows:

Download: 37.35mbps

Upload: 9.34mbps

Ping: 38

On my iPad Air that is connected on the 5GHz setting I get:

Download: 32.17

Upload: 7.96

Ping: 56

But on my Xbox One I'm getting:

Download: 22.89

Upload: 3.28

Ping: 173

The Xbox is in the same room as the Home Hub (around 15ft away) and has full signal strength. I've tried it on 2.4GHz and 5GHz with no difference. Both show the NAT settings as "open". I've tried port forwarding and changing the channels, using InSSIDER to make sure I'm on the right channel but that has made no difference. I've reset the router and the console. 

Can anyone suggest anything else to reduce the ping without having to go wired?

Distinguished Sage

Re: High ping/latency on Xbox Live

Use Powerline adapters.

What are powerline devices and how do they work?

BT have something suitable on this page http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-broadband-extender-200-kit-8W3r.html

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner

Thanks, but surely I shouldn't need an extender when the console is in the same room? As you can see from my original post, I have no issues with connectivity on my iPad that's the same distance from the Home Hub.

Distinguished Sage

if you want to do serious gaming then a wired connection is always reccomended due to wireless interference (not always caused by other routers)caused by other types of wireless devices can cause the re sending of data packets which will increase your latency

john46 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Distinguished Sage

Certi wrote:

Thanks, but surely I shouldn't need an extender when the console is in the same room? As you can see from my original post, I have no issues with connectivity on my iPad that's the same distance from the Home Hub.

In that case, run a direct Ethernet cable, wireless introduces quite a delay.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner

[ Edited ]

john46 wrote:
if you want to do serious gaming then a wired connection is always reccomended due to wireless interference (not always caused by other routers)caused by other types of wireless devices can cause the re sending of data packets which will increase your latency

Yeah I know wired will always give a better ping, but I'd rather not have a ethernet cable going along my wall if I can help it. I don't understand why my iPad and my phone both have pings below 50 but the Xbox is up at 170. Man Frustrated

Thanks for the replies so far guys

Aspiring Expert

The Xbox One network diagnostics pings Microsoft in seattle, thats why you get 170ms.

Expert

dont worry about the ping.  im wired and i get high ping. like the last poster said your xbox is pingin seattle

Beginner

there's not much we can't tweak ,you could try not using a wireless connection most gamers would just hard wire , primary and secondary DNS server address , port forward xbox live on your hub ,
Good Luck
Beginner

Forget using a wireless connection for gaming, just Hard wire, if you need a long cable use power line adapters,
do a factory restore on your hub and delete any old 360 Address's
set up your new one connection
try manual entry DNS Servers Ip
choice the best wireless channel on your router for your iPad/ phone