Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor
Accepted Solution

tp-link tl-wa830re setp up problems

I have recently bought this to extend my wireless range. I have a Home Hub 1.5 whose network range is  192.168.1.***

I have followed the intsallation wizard for the extender and my wirless analyser on my mobilke shows two wireless networks with the same name - the original on channel one and the extender on channel 2. Should I be seeing two networks? I had assumed that I would only see one.

I was also concerned that the extender has a network address of 192.168.0.254.

When I try to connect with my PC and laptop, they only see the original network.

Can anyone advise me on a solution?

Many thanks

Jonathan

Distinguished Sage

Re: tp-link tl-wa830re setp up problems

That is on the wrong subnet, which is why it does not work.

This guide may help, and you may even be able to load my default config file.

Increasing wireless range using a TP-Link TL-WA730RE or a TL-WA701ND (version 1)

Just remember that the initial setup address will be different until the config file is loaded.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor

tp-link tl-wa830re set up problems

I have recently bought a tp-link tl-wa830re to use as a wireless extender. When I configured it according to the set up wizard, I can see two networks using a utility on my mobile. Both have the same name (my wireless network name) but one is on channel 1 (the Home Hub) and the other is on channel 2 (the extender).

Neither my desktop or laptop appear to be able to access the network on channel 2, although the laptop can occasionally see both networks.

My Home Hub (version 1.5) uses 192.168.1.*** range and the tp-link tl-wa830re has a default IP address of 192.168.0.254.

Presumably they both need to use the same range as the Home Hub and I think I have discovered how to do this with static IP addresses, although it does seem a bit scary.

Do they both need to be on the same channel? If so, is this all I need to do; will I need to reset the extender?

If I succeed will I then just see one network on my mobile?

Many thanks

Jonathan

Distinguished Sage

Re: tp-link tl-wa830re set up problems

an answer to your original posts have already been made

john46 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Moderator-Retired

[ Edited ]

Threads merged as they are referring to the same issue Smiley Happy

Dean
BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor

Sorry for the reposting, it vanished from the forum that I orginally posted it to. I now discover moved by the mederator.

Is your config file suitable for the WA830RE?

I have tried to follow your instructions but when setting it up as a range extender I cannot find where to set the SSI, although I found the MAC address by searching as you advised.

I also cannot see how to set the channel. I have configured my Home Hub to stay on channel 1.

Do I need to configure the Home Hub to enable WDS?

Many thanks

Jonathan

Distinguished Sage

[ Edited ]

I am not sure about the wa830re, but you could try loading the config file. Do not touch the home hub, as WDS is not supported.

Te WA830RE must be setup as a Universal Wireless Repeater, which is not the same as WDS.

It will repeat the same channel number and SSID as the home hub, that is why you cannot set it yourself.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor

OK I think I have done what you have recommended - thank you.

However, I am not detecting the boosted signal and the range extender light on the unit is off, which the manual suggests that it has not connected to the Home Hub. Do I need to press the range extender button on the front after configuring it?

When I go to the status page and repress the status button the channel is continuously changing and it is not displaying the SSID of my network all the time. This is while it is connected to my laptop with fixed IP address on the laptop. This seems to be the only way to access the console.

Sorry to be a pain.

Jonathan

Distinguished Sage

YouRe: tp-link tl-wa830re set up problems

If you have set it up manually, then do not press the range extender button.

If you have used my config file, then if you leave the laptop that you used to configure the wa830re, plugged into it, and go to http://192.168.1.15 you should be able to see the wireless status page.

You will need to make sure that the wireless encryption and key, are set the same as the home hub.

As I said, I am not familiar with the 830re, so you may be better simply following the instuctions in the manual, which probably involves pressing the extender button. How it knows which wireless network to extend, I do not know?

That is why I suggested manual setup, making sure that the repeater can see a reasonable signal from the home hub to start with.

Aspiring Contributor

Re: YouRe: tp-link tl-wa830re set up problems

Keith

thank you, it noe looks as though it is working. My mobile is showing two networks with the same SSID on the same channel.

Jonathan