camyourepeatthatplz

Airport extreme replace the home hub

[ Edited ]

I don't know if this is a stupid question but I can really find the answer on apple so...

Can I use apples airport extreme instead of the BT home hub

Expert
tommybobbins

Re: Airport extreme replace the home hub

Hello canyourepeathtatplz and welcome,

Hmmm. Difficult question as you haven't provided enought details about your setup for anyone to answer properly.

It depends on whether you are using BT Broadband or BT Infinity as to whether you can eliminate the Homehub.

If you are using BT Infinity, you can replace the HomeHub3 (HH)3 but not the Openreach modem - see here for details:

http://community.bt.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=airport#message-list

If you are using BT Broadband, you can use the Airport Extreme for wireless if that's what you wish. The Airport Extreme has no ADSL modem, so it can't do the connection to the telephone exchange, so you will still need the Homehub (or any 3rd party ADSL Modem router) to make the connection.

If you wish to use the Airport Extreme for wireless I would disable the wireless from the Homehub first though using the Advanced settings->Wireless at http://192.168.1.254. Plug the Airport Extreme WAN port into the HH using an ethernet cable and use the Apple Airport utility.

Hope this helps!

BenjaminVanstone

[ Edited ]

Hi there, the answer to your question is "yes". This does depend on if you are using a BT OpenReach Modem tho... Please follow my instructions bellow!

1. Replace your BT Home Hub with your Apple Air Port Extreme.
  2. Power on the Apple APE. (With no ethernet/usb cables connected)
  3. Hold down the reset button on the back of the Apple APE till the amber light on the front flashed repeatedly, then let go.
  4. Connect the "red" ethernet cable from the BT OpenReach Modem to the "WAN" port on the Apple APE.
  5. Launch "Airport Utility" on your Mac or Windows computer
  6. Once Airport Utility is open on your computer it should pick up the reset station and prompt you to set it up. If not click Other Airport Base Stations and select your one.
  7. Once selected it will come up with a prompt for you to enter a "Network name", a "Base station name" & a "Password". Enter the information, then click next.
  8. It will now ask you to set up the WAN settings. Enter the infomation bellow.
  • Account Name : bthomehub@btbroadband.com
  • Password : hit the space bar once
  • Service Name : Leave Blank
  • Connection : Always On

9.  Now click next, this will now configure the device. Once complete it will tell you its now available.

I hope this helps you!

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

BenjaminVanstone

You are replying to a two year old post, but your information could be of use to other forum members.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.