Beginner
FrankC
Accepted Solution

BT Broadband Desktop Help problem

Having followed the recent instructions from BT to update my BT Yahoo browser and also to update Internet Explorer I now find I cannot access BT Broadband Desktop Help.

When I open it I get a message that tells me:

BT Broadband Desktop Help Install

We have detected that the latest version of BT Broadband Desktop Help is not currently installed on your computer, to install it now follow the steps below :  etc etc

When I start the download process I then get a message that tells me:

Installation Failure

The installation could not continue.

BT Broadband Desktop Help is already installed.

I'm running Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 3.

Anyone got any advice?

Frank C

Distinguished Guru
Ectophile

Re: BT Broadband Desktop Help problem

My best advice would be: don't install desktop help. I have never found any use for it, and it seems to cause more problems than it fixes.
Aspiring Contributor
DanDare

Sorry that statement is just not true I have had it installed for a number of years now and it has fixed connectivity and email problems for me, it even sorted out my wireless connection when it kept connecting to BT Fon rather than direct to my hub.

Whilst it might not be of help to more technical people, it has certainly help me so I would say give it another look, certainly worth a go before resorting to calling the helpdesk

Beginner
FrankC

Why is my original message marked "Solved" when the only advice I have received is not to bother with Broadband Desktop Help?

Yes, I have deleted it but only because I cannot get it to work!

Frank  C

CraigS

Hi FrankC

I am sorry this still a problem.

If you could drop me an email please with your BT account and telephone number along with a link back to this thread I'll get this sorted out for you.

Just send to the address in my profile. 

With regards to the thread being marked as solved as the original poster you can unmark the thread as solved.  Just select 'Options' at the top right of the post.  KerryG has posted up a pretty useful guide on this here. 

Cheers

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Beginner
go4gold

Beginner
jimjack4

I am having exactly the same problem using windows vista.I had a lengthy telephone conversation with mumbai and installed and uninstalled bt desktop help three or four times.Eventually the lady took over my computer remotely and did the uninstall/install herself.The result was still the same.She was then ddvised by her supervisor that this was ok as bt desktop help would work properly if there was a problem. RUBBISH.

I had no broadband connection this morning . I got the same "install the latest version" garbage AGAIN.I had to switch off the router and switch it back on again

Beginner
FrankC

JimJack,

I can empathise with this. After several attempts at trying to download it with help from this site I still do not have access to Broadband Desktop Help. I understand that it is a technical issue or it was last September when I raised it!

FrankC

Beginner
jimjack4

Thanks for your response-I gather BT have not yet supplied a cure.
CraigS

Hi Jimjack4,

I'll get this sorted out for you.

Could you drop me in an email please with your BT account and telephone number along with a link back to this thread.

Just send using the contact us form in my profile under the 'about me' section and mark FAO Craig please.

@FrankC, our Desktop help team were due to give you a call back to discuss this direct with you and sort it out.  I have forwarded them your details once again and someone should be in touch soon.

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.