cornacum

BT Broadband - unlimited

Hi,

I have a BT broadband option with unlimited bandwidth.

I have been told that the unlimited, actually doesnt mean unlimited. Can somebody please clarify to me what is the actual bandwidth limit for "unlimited" package. I called BT and they told me to search for "fair use policy". After searching online, I have found different answers, which state limit is 100GB, some say 300GB... if you exceed the limit you will be charged £5 per 5GB used, etc. etc. etc.

This is really confusing, especially as even BT couldnt give me straight answer after talking to 3 different people on bt online chat.

Any information would be appretiated.

Thanks

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: BT Broadband - unlimited

[ Edited ]

If you are on an unlimited usage package, then there is no usage restriction at all.

There is no such thing as an unlimited speed package.

Have you checked which option you are on, otherwise you may be in for a nasty shock when you get your bill.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Sage
john46

unlimited means just that there no limits to the amount of data you can download in a month the 5.00 charges only apply to option 1 and 2
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Distinguished Guru
Ectophile

Unlimited really is unlimited.  The 100GB or 300GB are references to soft "limits" that BT used to apply - if you went over them then BT slowed down your connection.  They have now been scrapped.

Bear in mind that P2P traffic is heavily throttled at all peak times (which is any time you're likely to want to use it).

The £5 per 5GB charges only apply to the limited packages (10GB or 40GB monthly limits).

Guru
Andy_N

cornacum wrote:

Hi,

I have a BT broadband option with unlimited bandwidth.

I have been told that the unlimited, actually doesnt mean unlimited. Can somebody please clarify to me what is the actual bandwidth limit for "unlimited" package. I called BT and they told me to search for "fair use policy". After searching online, I have found different answers, which state limit is 100GB, some say 300GB... if you exceed the limit you will be charged £5 per 5GB used, etc. etc. etc.

This is really confusing, especially as even BT couldnt give me straight answer after talking to 3 different people on bt online chat.

Any information would be appretiated.

Thanks

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

The people on BT online chat should actually know that there is no limit or FUP on the unlimited packages.

There is only the limits on the other packages which allow for a set amount of GB per calendar month, more than this use will incur a cost of £5 per 5GB or part.

The limits of 100GB/300GB were in force a number of years ago, but the 300GB (hidden effectively) figure was remove from the "unlimited" packages just under 2 years ago. See my shortcuts (link below) option 14z for the definitive answer.