Aspiring Contributor
Helensmith

BT Home Hub 3 Wireless Extender

Hi, I live in a long, thin house with thick walls so my BT homehub 3 signal cannot reach my lounge where my PS3 and Xbox are and my computers (which are currently connected to the HH) do not have wireless connectivity. I was just wondering if there was something I could do to extend the range through some kind of extender.

I've looked at Power Plugs however I think that where I would need to place one is not in the same electricity circuit as my Home Hub 3 meaning I can't use one of those.

Any help on whether I can use a wireless extender and which one I could use would be appreciated :smileyhappy: 

PS the Home Hub 3 has "Wireless WPS" whatever that is so I don't know if that allows it to connect to an extender??

Thank you, Miles

Expert
geaves

Re: BT Home Hub 3 Wireless Extender

[ Edited ]

Helensmith wrote:

Hi, I live in a long, thin house with thick walls so my BT homehub 3 signal cannot reach my lounge where my PS3 and Xbox are and my computers (which are currently connected to the HH) do not have wireless connectivity. I was just wondering if there was something I could do to extend the range through some kind of extender.

I've looked at Power Plugs however I think that where I would need to place one is not in the same electricity circuit as my Home Hub 3 meaning I can't use one of those.

Any help on whether I can use a wireless extender and which one I could use would be appreciated :smileyhappy: 

PS the Home Hub 3 has "Wireless WPS" whatever that is so I don't know if that allows it to connect to an extender??

Thank you, Miles

Hi Miles,

The powerlugs myth is actually mis-information, provided each circuit goes through the same fuse box this should work, check this out... http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/acatalog/faqs.html the only other option is install an ethernet cable from the Hub to the lounge and the use a wireless access point, or a small ethernet hub to connect the Xbox and PS3, rather than use wireless. Another site to look at is www.solwise.co.uk there is a forum with a lot of information on how to set these up.

Aspiring Contributor
Helensmith

Ok, thank you for the quick response :smileyhappy: So it's not possible to use some kind of extender with a HH3??

Expert
geaves

Anything is possible :smileyhappy: the question is, is it the best solution. The wireless on the HH3 has been greatly improved from HH2.....if you purchase a repeater for your lounge and find that you're still getting a low strength signal then you've wasted your money......but if you want to 'try' this then http://www.edimax.co.uk/en/produce_detail.php?pd_id=242&pl1_id=1&pl2_id=5 would be a good choice or perhaps a Netgear.

Personally the Homeplugs would be the optimum solution.

farmingfred

On the same theme as the original post can anyone recommend an outdoor wireless range extender suitable for use with HH3?

Thanks

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

farmingfred wrote:

On the same theme as the original post can anyone recommend an outdoor wireless range extender suitable for use with HH3?

Thanks

Did you post on the BT Business forums as I suggested, as they would be the best people to deal with business quality outside repeaters?

This forum is aimed at BT residential broadband users.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

b1gduk

Very helpful posts. Thanks to you both.

I got my homehub 3 yesterday to replace my trusty Netgear 834g as I have upgraded to BT Infinity. I have some TP Link Power adapters and a PL Wireless extender upstairs. The router SSID and Extender on separate SSID's and we could connect to either at will depending on where we were in the house.

Since turning off the Netgear and installing the HH 3.0b I found I was able to connect some devices sometimes and not others. I didn't make the mental connection with the Wireless extender until I did some more research on forums like this. In addition this explains also why I say an Iphone connection on the Home Network Physical connection map and not on the Wireless ?!?! The Iphone must have connected to the Wireless Extender which is then goes into the Homehub via Switch port. When the router is aware of the device on this connection disconnecting from the Extender and to the HH3.0 fails. Very frustrating , thinking it was a compatibility issue between the various devices and the router I tried changing encryption protocols, channels , all sorts and getting no where.

Turning off the wireless extender and power cycling the HomeHub allows all devices to connect and reconnect without any problems.

The fact I consider the HH3.0 a pile of poo is another subject all together. Already looking at replacements including Open/DD-WRT for VPN , decent Firewall and portforwarding with source address restrictions and MAC address filtering .. the list goes on .. Real shame as I like the compact look of the Unit but its not all that very basic feature set, wireless is average at best and with this powerline extender issue that's probable the icing on the cake.

Thanks for the information guys :smileyhappy: