Aspiring Contributor
mlsred

BT Home Hub 3 and Apple Airport Express 3

Hi All,

I just purchased a Apple Airport Express so I could connect it to my Bose Sound dock and stream music. I have the airport express connected to the HH3 via Ethernet and I have set it up so that it creates another wireless network. 

I only did this because I couldn't seem to make it extend the existing wireless network.. So I now have two wireless networks.. the original HH3 one and the Airport Express one..

The issue I am having is that if I connect any of my devices to the Airport Express wireless network and then try to switch it back to the HH3 wireless network I am unable to do so... When I try to do this I get a message saying "unable to join" BT HH3 wireless network.  If I switch off the Airport Express I can rejoin the BT HH wireless network.

The devices I have connected to the BT HH wireless network work fine.. it is only if I connect them to the Airport Express network I cannot switch back without switching it off...

All a bit weird..

Ideally I would like to just extend the BT HH wireless network but I can’t seem to get this working...

Cheers

Michael

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: BT Home Hub 3 and Apple Airport Express 3

That is a "feature" of the home hub 3. It will not allow the same MAC address to connect to both wireless and Ethernet (Airport Express).

Once you connect to Ethernet, it will not allow you to connect to wireless without restarting the home hub.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor
mlsred

Thanks Keith..

At least I am not going mad then..  :smileywink:

Don't suppose you know if there is a way to use the Airport Express, connected via Ethernet, to extend the Wireless network rather than having to setup two separate wireless networks.. I tried earlier and it said it couldn’t find the BT HH wireless network. I am wondering if this is the same issue..?

Cheers

Michael

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Yes, that "feature" has caught many people out.

Sorry, I cannot help with the Airport Express unless it has a "Universal Wireless Repeater" mode.

A Universal Wireless Repeater simply receives a wireless signal, then repeats it.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
mlb7171

I'm struggling with a BT Home Hub 3 and Airport Express, for music streaming. The AE keeps vanishing from the network. Trawling the internet comes up with loads of the same problem, but no solution. Other than buying another AE to create a network on the ethernet out the back of the Home Hub especially for streaming. But what pay an extra £79. It should work. Any ideas much appreciated. It just seems that when the streaming stops, after a few minutes the connection times out.

anabanana

I have the same issue. Since changing broadband providers from AOL to BT I can't stream music even though it used to work in the beginning, now it only starts streaming for two seconds and then stops.

dt2804

Hi!

I've just bought an Airport Express with a view to doing exactly the same thing (connect via eithernet to the HH3 to extend the range of the existing network) & appear to have the same problem as you.

Just wondered if you got anywhere closer to resolving it? - I don't want to have two networks running, so am faced with turning off the networking of one or other of the devices, which will still leave deadspots in my house.

Cheers!