Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner

BT Home Hub 3 as Booster?

Hi.

I have a BT Home Hub 3 working well in my house, but I do most of my work in a cabin in the garden. The signal there is very weak.

If I get a second BT Home Hub, can I pair it with the first and use it to boost my signal? If so, how?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

John

Distinguished Sage

Re: BT Home Hub 3 as Booster?

[ Edited ]

The later home hubs do not support WDS (Wireless Distribution System) so normal repeaters do not work with it.

If there is a mains feed to the cabin then Powerline adapters may work. These use the mains to carry the Ethernet signal from one of the ports on the home hub, to another power point elswhere, i.e. your cabin.

You then plug your computer into the Ethernet port on the second Powerline adapter or use an additional stand-alone wireless access point.

There is another option you could try, and that is a universal repeater.

I have a T-LINK TL-WA701N which I am using as a wireless access point, but it can also function as a universal repeater, which, when I read the manual, seems to indicate that it will repeat any wireless signal.

As it is only £14.99, it may be worth experimenting with to see if it will work with the Home Hub 3.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner

Thanks, Keith. 

I shall give that a go.

Aspiring Contributor

would personally put in a LAN ethernet port.   Kits with 50m of cable are on the market for about £30 and you will get fantastic speeds and its more secure

Distinguished Sage

Update:- I have just tried using a TL-WA701N in the universal repeater mode, and it has no problem repeating a home hub 1 which is using WPA-PSK encryption.

You must not select WDS, but simply scan for the MAC address of your hub, and hit connect. Then set the wireless encryption to the same as your hub, saving the settings on each page of the setup.

Reboot the TL-WA701N , and thats about it. If you position the repeater somewhere where there is a poor signal. It re-creates the network and radiates a strong signal.

I see no reason why it should not work with the Home Hub 3.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner

Thanks again, Keith.

I have a Netgear repeater and will give it a go.

I appreciate your help.

Distinguished Sage

Provided its a universal repeater and does non use WDS, you should be fine.

Beginner

I now have two BT Home Hub 3 units - one that came when I joined the service, and one I was given.

If I ran a phone extension line to my cabin, is there any reason I couldn't have both hubs connected to my BT line?

Thanks in advance.

Distinguished Sage

No, you can only connect one at a time.

Beginner

That's a pity.

Never mind. At least I now have a spare hub!

Thanks for being so helpful, and responding so quickly.

John