Contributor
andrew-martin
Accepted Solution

BT Home Hub 4 Wireless Problems

Hi all,

I'm a new BT customer with the BT Infinity 1 package, with unlimited downloads and speeds of up to (I think) 38MB. When the engineer installed my package we noticed that on a wired connection, I was getting the full speeds, but on wireless connection (and tested on multiple devices), my speed was diabolical - around 100KB.

He assumed it was a faulty box and fitted me with a BT Home Hub 3 box, telling me it was likely an issue with that particular  box. I contacted BT who sent me out a new BT Home Hub 4 box this morning. However, despite have a brand new box, the same problem is still there.

On the BT Home Hub 3 - I get perfect wired, decent wireless (about half the speed of the wired).

On the BT Home Hub 4 - I get perfect wired, absolutely abysmal (and unusable) wireless. 

Does anybody have any advice on how to rectify this quickly, or do I need another visit from the BT engineer?

Thanks all

Distinguished Guru
gg30340

Re: BT Home Hub 4 Wireless Problems

Use the Homehub 3. Unless you have a desperate need for the 5GHz frequency on the HH4 then the HH3 will do everything the HH4 does and apparently better! If you check this forum you will see that a number of people are having problems with the HH4 wireless that doesn't appear to be being resolved at the moment.

"If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, click the white star"
Contributor
andrew-martin

How disappointing! I thought that as the Home Hub 4 had access to the higher frequency, with much less traffic, I would get a much faster wireless connection :smileysad:

Distinguished Guru
gg30340

You are correct in what you say. It should be better but only if your devices can connect at 5GHz. What devices are you trying to connect and are they able to connect at 5GHz.

You could try switching off the smart wireless and allocate a channel.

You can download and use inSSider to check for the best channel least congested channel

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

This link shows how to select a channel on the homehub

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14094/c/345/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzczMDM3NDIyL3NpZ...

Contributor
andrew-martin

I'm on the phone now with the phone support people. It's been a long call (50 minutes currently), but without much luck.

It's basically boiled down to trying to reset everything and trying to change the channel of both the 2.4 and 5Ghz frequencies. Nothing has helped.

Wired, the connected on the Home Hub 4 is around 38MB download.

Wireless, the last speed test (from http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/) is:

Download Speed (Mbps): 0.17

Upload Speed (Mbps): 2.61

Ping Latency (ms): 35.25

Distinguished Guru
gg30340

Try changing the security setting on the hub to WPA2 only

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44114/~/how-do-i-switch-my-bt-home-hub-4-to-wpa%3F

Contributor
andrew-martin

[ Edited ]

Changing the security from WPA & WPA2 to just WPA2 only doesn't seem to have done anything. However... the BT guy screen shared with me and has changed the 2.4Ghz wireless interface type from

802.11 b/g/n

to

802.11 b/g

He also changed the channel again to Channel 11. That seems to have done something. I am now getting a constant speed of 22Mbps. I'll try it for a while and post back if I have any problems.

Could anybody more in the know than me explain why this particular change seems to have done the trick?

Distinguished Guru
gg30340

That would have been my next suggestion. Some of you devices may not be "n" enabled and this could be causing a conflict that drags the speed down. I shouldn't but it does. It means though that any devices you have that are "n" enabled will only run a "g" speeds which is slower. Unless you are doing a lot of streaming on the device then it might not be that noticeable.

Contributor
andrew-martin

[ Edited ]

I'm still a little confused as there is only one device connected to it currently and it has a Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter - therefore, it should be connecting at n speeds. Why did the router need to be set to g speeds only?

Distinguished Guru
gg30340

Just another one of the mysteries of wireless broadband and the Homehub 4. I am unable to answer that.

If you only have one device and it is wireless "n" then you could try switching back to b/g/n and see what happens.

If you do change it to "n" and the problem returns you could try and update the drivers of the Broadcom adapter. Use the manufacturer web site not Windows update.