YummyMummyJackie

BT HomeHub 2 - Parental Control

Hi there, please bear with me and be kind with my first post!

My daughter is going on the Internet far too much so I've managed to work out how to log into the router and set up the controls so she can't go on it past a certain time. Brilliant.

Now she has googled how to reset the router so that all of my configuring has gone.

I can set it up again but how can I stop her from just resetting it so that my settings stop affecting her?

Any help from a cross Mummy would be very much appreciated!

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: BT HomeHub 2 - Parental Control

Change the default password for the router and keep it secret. She will not be able to log into it to change the settings.
There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

YummyMummyJackie

But she's used a paperclip to press the reset button on the side and all my settings have gone. Is there any physical way I can stop the reset button working?  Glue? Open the box up and remove the button itself?

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

Glue may be the answer. Then it can only be reset from the web interface.

Or put the router in a locked box, with ventilation holes.

If there is only one device, like a PC, then a software solution may be better.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Expert
geaves

Well that really depends if she has written down the default password on the back of the router, if it was me I would note down the password and remove the label. Or confiscate her puter if it happens again, or if you share a pc remove the keyboard. :smileysurprised:

YummyMummyJackie

geaves,

1. I'm saying that the password is overridden by the hard reset.
2. The label is removed but again, as above.
3. It's her own laptop which belongs to her.
YummyMummyJackie

Is there no way to stop the hard reset then?

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

No, unless you can stop the reset button being pressed.

The reset hole is quite small, so a small blob of epoxy glue should seal it.

YummyMummyJackie

What about the opening of it? Is that difficult? Can I just take the button out do you know?

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

I would not advise it. The "button" will be a small switch mounted on the circuit board inside. Attempting to remove it will damage the home hub.