Beginner
alexbg

BT INTERNET EMAIL / WINDOWS LIVE MAIL ISSUE

Good Evening BTCare Community, thanks for taking the time to read this.

I am posting here in the hope that someone out there has come across this problem before when using a BT Internet Email account with Windows Live Mail.

My friend has a BT Internet email account - I've set up Windows Live Mail for him, on a Windows 7 laptop. This was a pretty straightforward process, however my friend is constanly seeing the following error when attempting to send/receive mails through WLM

UNABLE TO SEND OR RECEIVE MESSAGES FOR THE BT INTERNET ACCOUNT

I have tried for several weeks to get to the bottom of this, but sadly with no avail. I have spoken to BT Tech Support twice - the first time an analyst connected to the laptop & checked this - he suddenly suggested I re-install WLM (Which I think was his was of getting me off the phone, as it was approaching 2200 UK time, which I think is when the Help Desk closes!) - so I gave this a try - a complete re-installation of WLM was done - but I am afraid that this hasn't resolved things, the error is still being generated.

I have contacted BT again - spoke to another analyst, who after discussions advised me that there is a known issue between WLM and BT Internet accounts - and that the above error is being displayed due to the size of some email messages that are waiting to be delivered to my friends account. The analyst then suggested that I might want to try another email client - he suggested Mozilla Thunderbird. I've had no experience of Thunderbird - so I've tried downloading this on my own system to see what it's all about - straight away my AV reported a Trojan - MAPIATTACH.TMP - so I'm not going to play about any more with Thunderbird, if I can help it!

Of course, my friend is able to access his email at the BT Internet web page - but we would like his email to be up & running without any problems on an email client - surely there must be some way around the error above, to get my friends email up & running without this error constantly being generated?

I would be extremely grateful for any assistance with this problem - if you have any experience of this error I would love to hear about it - especially if you got it resolved!

Thanks for taking the time to read this - thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Kindest Regards

Alex

Beginner
terry_nyorks

Re: BT INTERNET EMAIL / WINDOWS LIVE MAIL ISSUE

If you Google search "mail not sending on BT client" restricted to the UK and for the last week you get 19500 results right now. Even if only some of these fit this thread, there are others.

As there are so many threads scattered about, this might help - though you are on a Windows box:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20089113#20089113

Contributor
Words

Re: BT INTERNET EMAIL / WINDOWS LIVE MAIL ISSUE

Doubtful it's this, but have you checked firewall settings to see if WLM  is blocked on the laptop?

WLM should play sensibly with btinternet mail. 

Are you using POP or IMAP settings? A mix of those might also be a issue. 

Odd that you got a trojan alert downloading Thunderbird. It's part of the Mozilla/Firefox stable and should be absolutely fine, so I would suspect a false positive on that one.