emmajb2012

BT Internet email account

Hi,

My mother-in-law has been a BT broadband customer for years and has always accessed her BT Internet email account via a desktop without problem. She got a laptop at Christmas and now uses that most of the time and keeps her email account update however when she accesses this account from her desktop now, old email drop into her inbox again and she has to do a mass deletion. Any ideas why this is happening gratefully received, thanks 

Distinguished Guru
Ectophile

Re: BT Internet email account

Most email programs will have a checkbox with a name such as "Leave a copy of messages on the server", somewhere in the account settings.  If this is checked, the email program will not delete the messages as it reads them, so thay will be downloaded again and again.

emmajb2012

Thanks for the very quick response/advice - will check when I see her tomorrow
Beginner
FrustratED2

I have been a customer for years too but since last Novemeber I have unexpected failures for my Vista wndos mail to connect sometimes for days. I have tried resetting the details with out effect and then suddenly it resumed service. I have also a windows 7 laptop and the same thing has started to happen. perfect yesterday this morning wanted me to renter name and password with no affect. Desktop help didn't acknowledge the existence of windows mail even theough it was open and full of emails from yesterday.  Surpise! Surprise! after an interval my e mails started working again with out any changes to the settings being attempted. My conclusion is that since Bt joined upo with Yahoo, the capacity to deal with the mail has deminished. Anyway, it is affecting the reputation of BT as a reliable server as so many people are complaining about It. I was looking forward to having our fibre optic connections being completed. so i could upgrade but I am not so sure that I want to anymore as this problem seems to be universal to BT broadband services.

Beginner
FrustratED2

If mail is left on the server and you use a different computer it will always load all the mail received since the last access by that computer. The danger of having the server delete the mail after it has been opened on one computer will be that cross references will be lost, if they refer to email's already received on another computer.  

Distinguished Guru
gg30340

The thread you are repling to is a year old!

"If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, click the white star"