Beginner
andyb1000

BT Online chat window not encrypted

[ Edited ]

I have just used the online BT Chat (Live Assistance) for the first time and to my astonishment the connection was not secure.

Both Google Chrome and IE9 could not find any encryption to the connection, when I was on I was asked to confirm personal data and would not have shared this had I realised when the session started that it was not secure.

I have called up twice and found no one willing or able to grasp the seriousness of sharing personal data on an unencrypted connection. The second person told me that is was encrypted in transmission (even though my browser was sending it over an unencrypted connection) 

BT Chat.png

Chrome.png

This is data protection no no 101. 

If you go to the following address you can pass the registration bit all together. How is that secure BT? 

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/chat/chat_landing/first_name/

Having working in IT and been involved with ePDQ deployments in the utilities sector I know a thing or two about security, this my friends is very poor.

I await your response.

Regards,

Andrew

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: BT Online chat window not encrypted

Welcome to this forum. This is a BT domestic customer to customer help forum, any messages posted here do not go to BT.

You may like to ask one of the BT care people.

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they may be able to answer you question.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
andyb1000

Thanks Keith, I initially was calling up complaining about poor internet speeds and failed call backs from BT then discovered I was sending my personal details freely across the web! I bet that Anonymous hackers could make something out of this, they embarrassed Sony enough and they where a secure site!
Guru
Andy_N

andyb1000 wrote:

I have just used the online BT Chat (Live Assistance) for the first time and to my astonishment the connection was not secure.

Both Google Chrome and IE9 could not find any encryption to the connection, when I was on I was asked to confirm personal data and would not have shared this had I realised when the session started that it was not secure.

I have called up twice and found no one willing or able to grasp the seriousness of sharing personal data on an unencrypted connection. The second person told me that is was encrypted in transmission (even though my browser was sending it over an unencrypted connection) 

[..]

Having working in IT and been involved with ePDQ deployments in the utilities sector I know a thing or two about security, this my friends is very poor.

I await your response.

Regards,

Andrew

Hi Andrew.

Welcome to the forums.

Please can you edit your post to alter or remove the link, it contains your name and email address.

Expert
FloFosterJenkins

I'm surprised there's been no reaction to this post. The Live Chat is still operating as before I think, and CLs are still suggesting that posters use it for Help.

Can BT or one of the gurus please let us know if it is OK and safe to use?

Are Andrew's concerns and warnings insignificant and groundless?

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

FloFosterJenkins wrote:

I'm surprised there's been no reaction to this post. The Live Chat is still operating as before I think, and CLs are still suggesting that posters use it for Help.

Can BT or one of the gurus please let us know if it is OK and safe to use?

Are Andrew's concerns and warnings insignificant and groundless?

Perhaps you would like to flag it up to one of the moderators? We havn`t a clue, sorry.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Expert
FloFosterJenkins

Wow! That was quick Keith - 3 mins for all the gurus to have a conference? :smileywink:

Ah well, thanks for the reply. Maybe one of the mods will spot this thread and respond.

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

FloFosterJenkins wrote:

3 mins for all the gurus to have a conference? :smileywink:

They don't need one. They have a shared brain which is the size of a planet. 

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

FloFosterJenkins wrote:

Wow! That was quick Keith - 3 mins for all the gurus to have a conference? :smileywink:

Ah well, thanks for the reply. Maybe one of the mods will spot this thread and respond.

We are not BT employees, so the answer has to come from BT in this case.

Expert
FloFosterJenkins

Keith_Beddoe wrote:

FloFosterJenkins wrote:

We are not BT employees, so the answer has to come from BT in this case.

oops, 16 mins not 3 min :smileymad:

So, no offence, but meanwhile it's OK to recommend a process that apparently leaks customers' Personally Identifiable Information?

If this is a serious security issue, might there not be DPA implications, and potential trouble for BT if warnings are ignored?