Aspiring Contributor
harryg

BT Openzone connection to Samsung TV

Hi. Want to connect to BT Openzone on my Samsung Smart TV. It finds the available Openzone connection but cannot start the internet connection so that I can enter my logon details.

Any suggestions please. Graham.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: BT Openzone connection to Samsung TV

harryg wrote:

Hi. Want to connect to BT Openzone on my Samsung Smart TV. It finds the available Openzone connection but cannot start the internet connection so that I can enter my logon details.

You cannot use it, the TV works via a cloud server, there is no direct connection to the Internet.

You should be able to connect to your normal home hub SSID.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor
harryg

Hi Keith. Sorry but not in aggrement. A cloud is nothing more than a server on the earth someware. BT Openzone and BT Fon should open a browser to allow entry of users details to log on. This seems to be the problem, not some virtual server!

Guru
Andy_N

harryg wrote:

Hi Graham.

What Samsung TV have you got ?

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

harryg wrote:

Hi Keith. Sorry but not in aggrement. A cloud is nothing more than a server on the earth someware. BT Openzone and BT Fon should open a browser to allow entry of users details to log on. This seems to be the problem, not some virtual server!

There has been a similar thread on this already, and the TV tries to establish a connection with a remote server, if that fails, you get no browser.

There is no Internet connectivity on Openzone, untill you get past the login screen.

I will try and locate the thread.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Here is one

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Out-About/BTFon-Panasonic-Vierra-TV/m-p/393751/highlight/true#M6635

Different TV but same problem.

Why can`t you connect to your normal WiFi?

Aspiring Contributor
harryg

Hi Keith. Thanks, your link explains well. The TV is UE32D5520.

I like the bridge idea and will try it using my HTC smart phone. I am having difficulty with the usage at 10Gb which has never been a problem but in last 2 months seems to be being reported as high. Resorted to checking every day to discover that BT are not updating and see the occasional large jump in GBs.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

The TV manufacturers do this so that they can control the content, and provide "future proof" services. They can "upgrade" people by simply changing what is on their server. The TV can be just a "dumb" client.

They do not need to provide new firmware to all of the TV sets, smart idea really :smileywink:

Aspiring Contributor
harryg

Solution found!

Switched on my HTC 3G to WiFi hotspot and got instant connection. Bandwith great watching BBC iPlayer without a single drop. As I have a GG sim I have unlimited data so have a alternative to increasing BB usage limit.

Graham. 

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

harryg wrote:

Solution found!

Switched on my HTC 3G to WiFi hotspot and got instant connection. Bandwith great watching BBC iPlayer without a single drop. As I have a GG sim I have unlimited data so have a alternative to increasing BB usage limit.

Graham. 

You may find that "unlimited" is subject to a fair use policy, it usually is.