PaulusAlone

BT Yahoo! Sign-in seal...?

Hiya,

Does anyone know if BT Yahoo! have killed off the security 'Sign-In Seal ?'

Because it isn't showing mine anymore when I sign in to BT Yahoo on my home PC, and it isn't asking me if I want to create a new one (like it used to) if I erased my cookies etc. I don't think my sign in page is a 'phising' page, but I'm no expert, so...

Anyone know what has happened to it and do I need to worry?

Thanks for your time.

Aspiring Expert
AlunH

Re: BT Yahoo! Sign-in seal...?

To be honest, mine rarely showed up... can't remember the last time I saw it.  I'm guessing that it's an issue at Yahoo's end as opposed to a security issue.

Cheers
Alun

"Can a leopard change it's shorts?" - T Prattchet
Distinguished Guru
Ectophile

It's still working for me.

It should be pretty obvious if you are on a phishing page just by looking at the address in the browser.  If it's (something).yahoo.com then it's genuine, otherwise it isn't.

I have never found the sign in seal that reliable, and it does go away if cookies are deleted.  It's a handy indication that you are on the right site, but I wouldn't rely on it entirely.

PaulusAlone

Yeah? It seems that the 'sign-in seal' isn't too reliable then?

Pheww...I gotta admit that does actually ease my mind quite a bit!

Though that does meanYahoo! need to get their act together!

Many Thanks Anyways. ^^

PaulusAlone

Thanks for the useful URL/phising advice - I'm ashamed to say that it wasn't obvious to me (I came into computers and the Internet late, I'm afraid).

Judging from your reply as well, it seems like the 'sign-in seal' is a bit of a joke?

I know it has gone before when I've cleared out my cookies, but it usually prompted me to make a new one when I next signed-in to BT Yahoo! And this seems to have stopped as well lately, so I was a little worried - However, as you say, it doesn't seem safe to rely on it too much.

Thanks again for the advice.

Have a good weekend. ^^

Distinguished Guru
Ectophile

A bit of further advice when it comes to links in email or otherwise:-

If you are not sure if you should click on it, hover the mouse over the link. You should see the actual link appear in the status bar at the bottom of your email client or web browser.

All too often, the one that's displayed in the email or on the web page isn't the same as the one you will actually be sent to.
Guru
AllanQuatermain

AFAIK, the sign in seal is only retained if the user does not sign out from Yahoo after logging on..........

But then cookie settings on the browser melt down the seal, and then it is gone...........

So, it does not do what it says on the tin unfortunately. :smileysad:

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

Expert
FloFosterJenkins

Ectophile wrote:
A bit of further advice when it comes to links in email or otherwise:-

If you are not sure if you should click on it, hover the mouse over the link. You should see the actual link appear in the status bar at the bottom of your email client or web browser.

All too often, the one that's displayed in the email or on the web page isn't the same as the one you will actually be sent to.

That's very good advice. Many people aren't aware of this useful security check and are too hasty to click on a link to see where it leads.

I set our email clients (OE) to Read emails in Plain Text to reduce the risk of family clicking bogus links that might install malware or viruses.

As for the Sign-in Seal, I gave up on that months ago. It was a waste of time, because clearing cookies on exit nullified its usefulness.

Beginner
Greenray

I had the same problem setting up for another user on my lappy. The way around this is when you go to tools then internet options & click, you will then open the internet options window.

This done you would click 'Delete' temporary files,cookies etc.

Once you click on this option it opens another window on top of the existing one 'Delete browsing history'

In this window you will notice various check boxes, Temporary internet files, cookies, history & form data.

The check box at the top of this window is 'preserve favourites website data' check this box and your problem with sign-in-seal should be resolved.

Go back to your default BT Yahoo page & set up your sign-in-seal again. If the default page doesn't give you an option then sign into BT Yahoo ,sign out and the sign-in-seal option should be there. Download your pics/text or whatever, & off you go. BTW you dont need to check the box below your new sign in seal (the one below your user name/password.

Once set-up test by deleting temporary files then open up your browser & your sign-in- seal will still be there.

Good luck