Aspiring Contributor
jeccles2

BT Yahoo 'Trash' folder

Hi All,

Since last weekend my BT Yahoo email account has been placing copies of emails downloaded to my Outlook client into the BT Yahoo 'Trash' folder.  It never did this before.  My concern is that last weekend my account was hacked and an email was sent to all the email addressees on emails in my 'Sent' folder. 

Because of an earlier attack which sent an email to all my contacts I no longer keep any contacts in the file and now I set the email up not to leave any copies of sent mail in the 'Sent' folder but my worry is that a copy of every single email received is now in my 'Trash' folder so I have to keep logging on and deleting my trash.  I can't find any reference in my settings to allow me to change this new activity - any advice available?

Is it a coincidence that this only started happening when my account was hacked?  BT Internet Security and BT Yahoo Abuse support don't seem to be able to help.

Thanks

Guru
Andy_N

Re: BT Yahoo 'Trash' folder

jeccles2 wrote:

Hi All,

Since last weekend my BT Yahoo email account has been placing copies of emails downloaded to my Outlook client into the BT Yahoo 'Trash' folder.  It never did this before.  My concern is that last weekend my account was hacked and an email was sent to all the email addressees on emails in my 'Sent' folder. 

Because of an earlier attack which sent an email to all my contacts I no longer keep any contacts in the file and now I set the email up not to leave any copies of sent mail in the 'Sent' folder but my worry is that a copy of every single email received is now in my 'Trash' folder so I have to keep logging on and deleting my trash.  I can't find any reference in my settings to allow me to change this new activity - any advice available?

Is it a coincidence that this only started happening when my account was hacked?  BT Internet Security and BT Yahoo Abuse support don't seem to be able to help.

Thanks

Hi.

The transfer of emails into the Trash folder has been happening for a couple of months now. A typical mail client email receive (unless the "leave messages on server" optionis chosen) will result in the email being moved to Trash. In my case, the Trash folder is emptied weekly.

Aspiring Contributor
jeccles2

Thanks Andy_N,

I spoke with BT support on the Indian Subcontinent and after they conducted a lengthy netsession on my laptop they concluded that it was a 'feature' of the latest iteration of Yahoo mail.  So it seems I have to put up with it or move to another email provider.  If I put up with it I shall have to logon daily and clear down the trash folder.

I seem to be reading many more posts from people with similar problems which leads me to believe that BT Yahoo mail may be inherrently insecure and even BT support claimed it had been happening much more recently.

Kind regards,

jeccles2 

Expert
djh22

[ Edited ]

jeccles2 wrote:

Thanks Andy_N,

I spoke with BT support on the Indian Subcontinent and after they conducted a lengthy netsession on my laptop they concluded that it was a 'feature' of the latest iteration of Yahoo mail.  So it seems I have to put up with it or move to another email provider.  If I put up with it I shall have to logon daily and clear down the trash folder.

I seem to be reading many more posts from people with similar problems which leads me to believe that BT Yahoo mail may be inherrently insecure and even BT support claimed it had been happening much more recently.

Kind regards,

jeccles2 

Hi jeccles2, I think you'll find that all the other free web mail providers act in the same way as BT Yahoo, I've certainly come to that conclusion after testing Virgin Media,Talktalk,Yahoo,Gmail and MS Hotmail webmail accounts.
Del.