Pawn

BT Yahoo customer care. Account Update email. Is this a scam?

This is an email I got from BT Yahoo. 1. Is it genuine? 2. If yes, why do they want me to "update my account". 

TIA. 

Even this poxy post won't format correctly.

Account Update

Our records indicate that your account hasn't been updated as a part of our regular account maintenance. Reply our Customer Care with your personal 

Information. 
Do this by clicking reply.

Enter information below:

Full Name:
Username: 
Password: 
Date of birth:
Country or Territory: 

This back up is necessary for update and to avoid blocking of your account. If you do not respond to this message. 
you will lose your account permanently.

Thank you for your usual co-operation. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
Member Service Team
PaddyB

Re: BT Yahoo customer care. Account Update email. Is this a scam?

Hi Pawn,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for posting. I would say that the email you received is a scam email. BT Yahoo would never ask you to confirm your details through email.

Scam emails like this have been around for years, I would treat any email asking you to confirm your details as suspicious.

Cheers

Paddy

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)
Pawn

[ Edited ]

Hi Paddy, thanks for the reply. If it is a scam they are going out of their way to make it look authentic, this is the first email I received, advising me of future updates.

Pawn.

What you need to know
Hello,

We’ve got a better version of BT Yahoo! Mail. It’s lots easier to use, you can hang onto all your contacts, folders and messages, plus you get:

faster email
the latest spam protection
unlimited email storage
What do I need to do?
If you use Internet Explorer 7, Firefox 3, Safari 4, or Chrome 5 or newer, you should upgrade now.

If you’re using another or older browser, you’ll need to update your browser (it’s easy and free) then come back to this email and upgrade. Once you've upgraded, you won't be able to go back to using your old mail version.

If you decide not to upgrade now, that’s okay. Your current version of BT Yahoo! Mail will keep working for the next few months.

Got a question?
You can find out more about the upgrade when you log in to your email at bt.yahoo.com. For everything else, or to get in touch, go to bt.com/help/newmail

Thanks for choosing BT.

Warren Buckley
Managing Director, Customer Service

Important things you should know
New BT Yahoo! Mail is faster than previous versions of BT Yahoo! Mail based on internal and external testing for opening and reading email. Exact speed will vary depending on your internet connection, browser, computer, where you are and what else you’re doing on your computer at the same time.

Please don't reply to this email – it's been automatically generated by our computer.
If you need to get in touch, please use the contact links below.

To make sure emails from BT go into your inbox and not the junk folder, add
btcomms@btcomms.com to your address book.

BT own all '@btcomms.com' addresses, but they're operated by planning-inc (an approved BT supplier).

We sent this email to you at ********@btinternet.com because you subscribe to a BT service.

© British Telecommunications plc 2011. We're registered in England at 81 Newgate Street, London EC1A 7AJ (company number 1800000). All this information was correct on the date we sent this email.
See our terms and conditions

PaddyB

Hi Pawn,

That's the thing with scam emails is they try to look as real as possible, usually a giveaway is the email addresses used to send the email.

BT has recently updated their version of BT Yahoo but you do not need to confirm any of your personal details to take advantage of the upgrade. If you click the link you will find some useful information and tips on how to protect yourself from scam emails

Cheers

Paddy

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)
Guru
toekneem

Pawn wrote:

Hi Paddy, thanks for the reply. If it is a scam they are going out of their way to make it look authentic, this is the first email I received, advising me of future updates.

Pawn.

What you need to know
Hello,

We’ve got a better version of BT Yahoo! Mail. It’s lots easier to use, you can hang onto all your contacts, folders and messages, plus you get:

faster email
the latest spam protection
unlimited email storage
What do I need to do?
If you use Internet Explorer 7, Firefox 3, Safari 4, or Chrome 5 or newer, you should upgrade now.

If you’re using another or older browser, you’ll need to update your browser (it’s easy and free) then come back to this email and upgrade. Once you've upgraded, you won't be able to go back to using your old mail version.

If you decide not to upgrade now, that’s okay. Your current version of BT Yahoo! Mail will keep working for the next few months.

Got a question?
You can find out more about the upgrade when you log in to your email at bt.yahoo.com. For everything else, or to get in touch, go to bt.com/help/newmail

Thanks for choosing BT.

Warren Buckley

New BT Yahoo! Mail is faster than previous versions of BT Yahoo! Mail based on internal and external testing for opening and reading email. Exact speed will vary depending on your internet connection, browser, computer, where you are and what else you’re doing on your computer at the same time.

Please don't reply to this email – it's been automatically generated by our computer.

BT own all '@btcomms.com' addresses, but they're operated by planning-inc (an approved BT supplier).

We sent this email to you at ********@btinternet.com because you subscribe to a BT service.

© British Telecommunications plc 2011. We're registered in England at 81 Newgate Street, London EC1A 7AJ (company number 1800000). All this information was correct on the date we sent this email.

That email above and the copy of the message you first posted have no resemblance:

Account Update

Our records indicate that your account hasn't been updated as a part of our regular account maintenance. Reply our Customer Care with your personal 

Information. 

Enter information below:

Full Name:
Username: 
Password: 
Date of birth:
Country or Territory: 

This back up is necessary for update and to avoid blocking of your account. If you do not respond to this message. 

Sincerely,
Member Service Team
To me the Account Update message you recieved in your first post looks like a scam, its the grammer, asking for username/passwords etc , asking the Contry or Territory.
The second email appears to be a genuine email.
toekneem
http://www.no2nuisancecalls.net

(EASBF)

Pawn

Hi Tokeneem. It might be genuine, then again as no one on here knows for sure, I think I will err on the side of caution.

TTFN.
Guru
Andy_N

Pawn wrote:

Hi.

Your initial post email is a scam, the latter is 100% genuine.

Phishing emails, as mentioned, will always try to look authentic - otherwise people will just ignore them. Unfortunately many people do fall for these scams and "login" to a website copy - which only sends a login id and password to scammers.

The email header information will prove if the email is genuine or not (if you still have the emails and want to know how to get the email headers, just drop a reply). Also there will usually be a fake website in the scam emails - even though text on screen may look like a BT website, the actual link will go somewhere different.

Also as mentioned, the text of the scam emails is a giveaway, they ask stupid questions, the grammar is poor and often contains spelling mistakes - and most of all they ask for username, passwords and other personal stuff. Although not 100% certain, no company should ask you to provide these details via email.

Beginner
Kajala

Hi all, I was just searching Pawns other email he got - the one that is thought to be genuine...I believe it is NOT genuine because in the title that shows up on my inbox, the grammar is wrong.

"We,re upgrading BT Yahoo! Mail"  

- you will notice that there is a comma instead of an apostophe in the We,re".  Unless BT have taken on some total idiots to write their mails, surely this must be a scam!  I am copying the rest of the email here for you to look at.  I for one will NOT be clicking on any of these links.  If this is genuine and they want me to upgrade, I would appreciate correct grammar in the title as well as being addressed by my correct name.  Also, if you look at the area where it says  "Got a question?", you will notice that where it says "log into your email atbt.yahoo.com"  there is no space bewteen the "at" and the "bt".   I therefore really think that the following email is dodgy.

What you need to know

Hello,

• faster email
  • the latest spam protection
  • unlimited email storage

What do I need to do?

We know you don’t use webmail with your BT Yahoo! Mail. That’s fine but you’ll need to sign into webmail just this once to upgrade. You’ll need your username and password (if you need it, you can get a password reminder at bt.yahoo.com).

If you use Internet Explorer 7, Firefox 3, Safari 4, or Chrome 5 or newer, you should sign in to webmail and upgrade now.

[Button] Upgrade BT Yahoo! Mail

If you’re using another or older browser, you’ll need to update your browser (it’s easy and free) then sign in to webmail and upgrade

If you decide not to upgrade now, that’s okay. BT Yahoo! Classic Mail will still work but you’ll miss out on the improvements we’ve made. So why not upgrade now?

Got a question?

You can find out more about the upgrade when you log in to your email atbt.yahoo.com. For everything else, or to get in touch, go to bt.com/help/

Thanks for choosing BT.

Warren Buckley

We sent this email to you at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx because you subscribe to a BT service.

Beginner
Aisling

Further to the messages re the scam

we got one this morning saying that it is a final warning, has anyone else got this one and is it a Scam?

DEAR VALUED CUSTOMER

Information. 

Enter information below:

Full Name:
Username: 
Password:
Reconfirm Password:
Date of birth:
Country or Territory: 

Sincerely,
Member Service Team

Warren Buckley
Managing Director, Customer Services
Sage
imjolly

If I received it I certainly would not reply

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.