Aspiring Contributor
Le_blur

BT Yahoo email - backing up folders to PC

[ Edited ]

Both my dad and I have btinternet.com email addresses and use BT Yahoo online email to manage our emails.

My dad recently received an email saying that:-

"This summer, we're simplifying our email product range and we'll be closing some of our email services on 16 September 2013.

This means that your xxxxxxx@btinternet.com email address will stop working after that date."

I have not received such a message warning me of this closure of email service. Should I have received this also?

We both have a large number of emails stored, over the years, in folders in BT Yahoo.

Is there any easy way of backing up these emails/folders to our respective PCs?

There seems to be various options for backing up contacts but these seem to be quite specific to various devices/email apps. Is there a more Generic backup option for our contacts that will be compatible with most devices/email apps?

We may, in the end, just want to transfer these to another online email client, e.g. googlemail, i.e. one that is not tied to an ISP so we don't have this problem again in the future.

Many Thanks.

P.S. Neither my dad or I have BT Broadband and I have kept the email addresses going by dialling in every month or so. I believe there will be an option to keep the addresses by signing up to BT Premium Mail for £1.60 per month but this may be a good time to move away from the btinternet.com addresses altogether, hence the questions.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: BT Yahoo email - backing up folders to PC

You would have to use an IMAP e-mail client like Thunderbird, then they will be copied to your PC.

Using Thunderbird e-mail client instead of Yahoo web mail - Will allow you to backup your e-mails

When the e-mail server has been migrated, then you will have to alter the server settings, BT will be providing this info.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor
Le_blur

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for your very prompt response.

BT are leaving it a bit late if "BT will be providing this info." They haven't even informed me yet that my email address will be closing, just my dad.

I know I could download emails to my PC that are in my 'inbox' on BT Yahoo using an email client, as you suggested, but I think the BT Yahoo folders will be more problematic as these will not be visible to the email client, as far as I am aware.

Contributor
MartinRowe57

It could be a scam. See this

Aspiring Contributor
Le_blur

Hi Martin,

The concensus on that thread seems to confirm that this is genuine.

It does seem strange that my dad has been given notice of closure and I have not. I do check my spam folder very regularly so it hasn't got lost in there.

I have emailed BT regarding this but I am not confident of getting a response that avtually answers my questions (the thread you highlighted seemed quite scathing of BT Support!).

Expert
IanC

[ Edited ]

Le_blur wrote:

I know I could download emails to my PC that are in my 'inbox' on BT Yahoo using an email client, as you suggested, but I think the BT Yahoo folders will be more problematic as these will not be visible to the email client, as far as I am aware.

They will be if you set it up as IMAP, as Keith suggested.   POP3 only sees the maildrop (inbox), but IMAP can have visibility, and synchronise with, all of the folders that you see on the server.

Quite what Thunderbird's defaults are, I don't know, so I couldn't say if it needs any tinkering to make it actually download permanently the contents of the folders. But I'm sure KB will know :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Guru
gg30340

See this link about the email you received. Others have also received one but as yet no answer yet from the moderators about it.

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Phishing-email/td-p/957428

"If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, click the white star"
Aspiring Contributor
Le_blur

Many thanks Ian. I'll take a look at setting this up and testing it. It would be great if it could see all the folders.

Aspiring Contributor
Le_blur

Hi Guru,

Yes, it does appear strange that some have received the email and some have not, and that one received it on a secondary email account and not the primary.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

If you use Thunderbird, with the settings as shown on my link, it will download all folders to your PC.

It still leaves a copy on the servers.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.