Expert
HHGTTG

BT Yahoo mail Account password change

I'm new to BT BB as you may be aware and being of a rather nervous anxious temperament ask too many questions.

Part of the process of getting the above means being issued with a BT mail email address and together with this a 16 digit alphanumeric password. Frankly I won't be ever using this account but thought that I would delve into it occasionally to see whether BT had left any important emails.

With this in mind I thought that i ought to change the default clumsy password to something more for me to remember but when I looked into this, it appeared that if I change the password to something more memorable, it says something about that this action would also be applied to signing on to BT's My Account where one checks one's account and bills etc. Is this true?

Many thanks.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: BT Yahoo mail Account password change

Your My BT login and password should be totally seperate from your e-mail one. Did you use the e-mail that BT gave you, as your My BT user name. And did you use the same password as well?

You do need to check your primary e-mail account from time to time, as BT do send service messages to it.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Expert
HHGTTG

Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Your My BT login and password should be totally seperate from your e-mail one. Did you use the e-mail that BT gave you, as your My BT user name. And did you use the same password as well?

You do need to check your primary e-mail account from time to time, as BT do send service messages to it.

I signed up for BT BB over the phone and I was given a BT email address with a bit of help from myself to establish the bit before the @ sign. I was subsequently sent a barrage of email including the password to associate with my BT email address.

Both are quite different to the username and password I use  to login into my MY BT to view my bills etc.

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

HHGTTG wrote:

it says something about that this action would also be applied to signing on to BT's My Account where one checks one's account and bills etc. Is this true?

Are you sure they don't mean access to BT Yahoo! (where your email account lives)? That does require your primary email address and password. As KB said, MyBT is separate though you can choose your primary details and have one less set to remember. 

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Expert
HHGTTG

pottyperson wrote:

HHGTTG wrote:

it says something about that this action would also be applied to signing on to BT's My Account where one checks one's account and bills etc. Is this true?

Are you sure they don't mean access to BT Yahoo! (where your email account lives)? That does require your primary email address and password. As KB said, MyBT is separate though you can choose your primary details and have one less set to remember. 

Oh sorry, I meant my BT Yahoo mail address which I chose on the phone. Do I have to use that primary password every time, if I log out? It was the primary password I was hoping to change, though but did not want it to mess up my signing in procedure for MY BT account, which uses different usernames and passwords I set up some years ago, now.

The warning, when I accessed 'change password' in BT Yahoo mail, was interpreted by myself as that it would also apply to MY BT.

I'm confused and like things to remain simple.

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

[ Edited ]

You can change the password you don't like in BT Yahoo! That won't affect the sign-in details for MyBT, or this forum for that matter. Though they're all BT sites, they are separate as far as signing in is concerned.

Expert
HHGTTG

I'm still confusing everyone here. I meant that I didn't want it to conflict with my BT.Com account that was set up when life was simpler.
Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

I guess you have been a BT customer before, and I suppose there may have been a time when the sign-in details were not separate. Can't you just change the undesirable password to the one you already use for bt.com?

Expert
HHGTTG

pottyperson wrote:

I guess you have been a BT customer before, and I suppose there may have been a time when the sign-in details were not separate. Can't you just change the undesirable password to the one you already use for bt.com?

Yes, I could although I think that my rather simple 8 lettered password would not be accepted, now, as the minimum requirements are that plus numbers, although I will check or at least give it a try.