Aspiring Contributor
bobblebob

Re: BT email accounts hacked

A few people have suggested just getting an email can result in being compromised. This cant be true, as before my Yahoo account sent spam to people i knew, i ever received a spam email to that account.
mark_petty

Hi

Is anyone having problems logging in to email. I'm using a talk21.com account and everytime I login I get:

Dear Mark,

Your account safety is our top priority.

Recently, we have detected some unusual activity on your account and as a result, we’ve temporarily locked it for your protection. You may unlock your account immediately by changing your password.

Our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused, but your account safety and privacy is very important to us.

Sincerely,

Your Customer Care Team

But if I try to change my password I get errors like the webpage doesn't exist.

I've tried calling bt internet but they know nothing. I've tried online help but I was 152 in the queue, I waited for 1 hour and then they cancelled my call.

Help please?

Thanks

Mark

Beginner
andybathome

I have exactly the same problem on my Talk21 Account and BT could not help but directed me to 0808 1006778 which closed at 9pm.

I am so dissapointed that BTYahoo cannot be honest and admit there is a problem instead of trying to blame a virus on the PC. The help desk told me I was the 22nd call in the last hour to report this fault.

I strongly suspect there is a security problem with the new Yahoo software.

Contributor
LadyLouisa

Dean M

I have done as you suggest 2 days ago and my account was hacked again a second time (once I had changed my password) but since then I cannot get past the security questions, so these and indeed my username too have also been hacked, bt are telling me online that they do not recognise my username!!!

I opened NOTHING, READ NOTHING at all between the first password change, so however you want to patronise it is not my fault!!!

I am very fastidious about security etc online and I cannot believe this is still being treated like a 'user' error!!!.

Oh, and by the way,thanks for (not) bothing to respond to my e mail!!

Expert
vofsanity2

BT help has this statement:

"Email accounts are now regularly compromised by people checking emails on smartphones on unsecured Wi-fi networks. The smartphone stores your account details and each time you log into your email account both the username and password are sent. If somebody else is using the same open Wi-fi network on an infected computer, that computer can harvest your credentials. This is common with Blackberrys, iPhones, iPads etc. "

Does anyone think they have been compromised in this way ?

Aspiring Contributor
kitk

vofsanity2 wrote:

"Email accounts are now regularly compromised by people checking emails on smartphones on unsecured Wi-fi networks. The smartphone stores your account details and each time you log into your email account both the username and password are sent. If somebody else is using the same open Wi-fi network on an infected computer, that computer can harvest your credentials. This is common with Blackberrys, iPhones, iPads etc. "

I have had enough of this. BT are looking for scapegoats. They are clutching at straws. You see, I am that mad that I am resorting to idioms! Yahoo Mail, worldwide, suffered nearly half a million breaches last year. There are faults in the system. BT will not own up to there being a massive problem because under the terms and conditions they are culpable if our personal details are compromised.

STAND UP, BT, AND BE COUNTED!

Guru
Andy_N

[ Edited ]

vofsanity2 wrote:

To be frank, this implies that everyone in this current scenario has done this - which again is extremely unlikely.

Of course this can happen to some people, but for the amount being reported and the information supplied by some people like the shocking reports of them getting emails from dead relatives/friends this isn't possible.

Expert
FloFosterJenkins

[ Edited ]

vofsanity2 wrote:

I can't find that. Can you send a link please vofsanity? Surely BT is not trying to absolve itself from all responsibility by claiming all BT customers whose accounts have been compromised allowed their details to be harvested by using smartphones - and why no mention of laptops? - over an unsecured Wi-fi network.
As Andy implies, that would be utterly disingenuous. If it is a recently posted statement, as increasing amounts of mud stick more firmly to BT, they could be preparing the way for defence against ICO/legal action by placing the onus on the complainant to prove that they had never used a smartphone or any device over unsecured Wi-fi.
Aspiring Contributor
bobblebob

Never accessed my acount on a phone, only a PC which i know is clean. I access it once a week (as its a backup account) on my PC and hardly ever enter the password as its autosign in
Expert
FloFosterJenkins

[ Edited ]

just received an email from a regular contact on my address book with just today's date and the time in the subject line. yahoo.co.uk address

1. I haven't even clicked on it in T'bird. Is it safe to do that?

2. Is it safe to dbl click to open it to view the body text?

3. Is there a way, as in Outlook Express, of viewing just the headers and body text in plain text, without viewing in a View panel, or opening it?

(Can't access the other system with OE still running to look at the data in the safe way to which I am accustomed)