Contributor
Callerab

BT (email) host said: 522 IP REPUTATION BAD

[ Edited ]

Anybody know why BT says this about our email server(s) (Newnet).

We believe the emails are getting through. Newnet says the email server(s) are "good" but BT won't tell them why they think they're "bad".  Thanks.

EDIT: I've checked what I beleive to be the mail server against "blacklists" and nothing has come up.

Expert
Jonkarra

Re: BT (email) host said: 522 IP REPUTATION BAD

Reputation suggests that an email security gateway is being used. Have you checked CISCO Ironport email reputation score? With this system each IP has a reputation and the email security gateway administrator decides on the threshold reputation score. There are a few other products that are similar but CISCO Ironport is the most used.

Contributor
Callerab

[ Edited ]

If CISCO Ironport is covered by senderbase.com, I've just tested what I believe to be the mailserver - mail1.adsl.newnet.co.uk  - .uk - and "mail rep" is green.  Thanks by the way!

EDIT: The text of the errors from BT are as follows

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mail1.adsl.newnet.co.uk.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

*@btopenworld.com>:
Connected to 65.20.0.49 but greeting failed.
Remote host said: 522 IP REPUTATION BAD  (please check for IP address listing on reputation services)
I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.

Re.  address 65.20.0.49  Can I determine whether this is a correct/pukka server!?

EDIT: I believe the address to be mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk

So why do they think me and/or Newnet has a "bad reputation".  Grrrr.

Expert
Jonkarra

What you have to remember with reputation is that its a range from -10 to +10. Now I've never checked online where the values lie for green etc, but 0 is considered neutral to 10 being very trusted. Most organisations however will put blocks or rate limits on values less than 2 or 3, but it could be any value desired. Even though you are green you could be below the threshold set by the email security gateway.

The only ways to get around this would be to either route your email through a more trusted SMTP server or to get whoever manages the gateway to manually adjust your reputation locally.

As time goes on and the more non spam mail your SMTP server sends to organisations that use ironports your reputation will go up but I know of no way to force the issue.

Contributor
Callerab

[ Edited ]

BT mail server is still rejecting mail addresses originating from mail1.adsl.newnet.co.uk

Is there anybody at BT I can contact about this? (even if its an anonymous email address)

My guess is BT will only talk to the mail providers but its worth a shot I guess.

joc
joc

I have the same issue  can anyone help me 

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:
    host mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk [65.20.0.49]: 522 IP REPUTATION BAD  (please check for IP address listing on reputation services)

Contributor
Callerab

Who is the your mail provider? (the one that provides the send -SMTP- facility). You need to ask them why BT doesn't like them.  My problem appears to have gone away but it took a couple of prods of my mail provider.