Beginner
SteveAi

BTInternet account hacked and password changed

Hi

I have been receiving lots of spam emails from my own account recently and now it seems someone has changed my btinternet password.

Any ideas on what I can do?

I have contacted support via another email address.  Anything else I can do?

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: BTInternet account hacked and password changed

[ Edited ]

You can use the option for a forgotten password to reset it yourself.

https://register.btinternet.com/cgi-bin/load_page?page=/selfhelp/pwdRst_username.html

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
SteveAi

Hi Keith Thanks for that.  I tried it and it wouldn't allow me past the security screens so I have hopefully disbaled this by entering the wrong info 3 times and that will at least stop anybody logging into the account until this is resolved.

I have written to support for email but don't hold much hope of getting a reply soon. 

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

You are still going to be asked for your security details, otherwise anyone could claim to be you, and reset your password.

If its a sub-account, then you could ask the primary account holder to assist. There used to be an option to reset passwords, otherwise they could simply delete the account and create a new sub account.

One of the reasons why you should never use you primary e-mail account, apart from using it to contact BT.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
SteveAi

If someone was able to hack into my email account and change my password, surely they would be able to change the security questions as well?

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

I  have just checked that. Before you are allowed to change your details, you have to answer a security question, which anyone else should not know. Usually your mothers maiden name.

Guru
Andy_N

SteveAi wrote:

If someone was able to hack into my email account and change my password, surely they would be able to change the security questions as well?

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear of the bother you are having.

I have various shortcuts via a link below, options 3/3a, 24a/b and lots of others.

A security answer is needed in order to alter the security settings (my link 24a), however most people probably chose their mother's maiden name, which with social networking sites (and indeed things like friendsreunited etc), it's not hard to get that. I recommend using something else - even if it is in response to that question.

May I suggest you contact the moderators :-

Moderation Team Email Address: please fill out the "contact us" below.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

hopefully they can get your account back up and running for you.

You might like to see if you can remember giving any details away in response to a phish email, made sure that your OS is up to date as well as any security products. Also if you use the same information to login to various sites, it might be prudent to revisit them and alter the passwords, different ones. Alternatively use a different login for each site you have access to.

Beginner
richdac

I am having the same problems as StevieAI ... help
Beginner
richdac

I have also recieved an email from  BT Yahoo! My Account Services my-yahoo-register@cc.yahoo-inc.com to say that my password was changed at 19.07 this evening ??????. This email was sent to another email address unrelated to BT - what is going on... can anyone help 

Aspiring Expert
arron1718

bt dont send emails from yahoo, they use their own email
most times @bt.com

anything else is obvious scam

and btw emails dont get hacked
if you dont give out your details