Guru
AllanQuatermain

Re: BTYahoo e-mail - TODAY (Beta) - Powered by Yahoo

Its 0100 in the morning and Ive just had a phone call from a bereaved person OUTRAGED with me (yes shouting) about the INSENSITIVE news iten "I" had inserted into an email "I" had sent them.

The real "I" ie "me" is equally outraged by this and I/me am about to contact a man who works in a House in Westminster about it. Who knows what the email I will send will fully say?

A very angry poster tonight.
AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

As a temporary measure, change your e-mail composition settings so that they default to plain text. This stops the inserted "news".

For anyone using Thunderbird, untick the box which says "compose messages in HTML format"

There should be a similar settings for other e-mail clients.

This issue needs to be raised at the highest level, in view of tho offence it is likely to cause other people.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Distinguished Guru
DS

Keith_Beddoe wrote:

This issue needs to be raised at the highest level, in view of tho offence it is likely to cause other people.

Although I've not witnessed this myself yet, I agree with Keiths comments.

I have no issues in raising this with Ian or Warren or Sir Mick, but will give it a little longer to see if anyone from BT decides to contribute to this thread - has anybody (coughs a CL) raised this with the mod team?

clocks ticking:smileywink:

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Expert
FloFosterJenkins

Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Agreed. If you play with fire you get burnt. It needs a positive response from the highest level too. And not a "small number of customers affected" wriggle; that is irrelevant, the fact is it is happening, the gates are open, and, as AQ reports, it can have unacceptable consequences.

PaddyB

[ Edited ]

Hi guys,

We have highlighted this issue to Yahoo and as soon as we hear word back we will post back on the thread.

Thanks

Paddy

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)
Guru
AllanQuatermain

@Thanks for that Paddy.

Until this issue is resolved I will not be sending any e-mail using BT Mail.

It is hardly professional for example for me to be contacting others with:-

"Jennifer Lawrence's edgy magazine cover.

The star sizzles in a sequined corset and jokes about what she'd like to do with her money."

....copied into a forwarded e-mail. 

This is a disgrace.      :smileymad:

AQ.

Contributor
RG01

Thank you for taking this up, Paddy.

I trust that you will prod Yahoo at frequent intervals until you get a satisfactory reply.

From what I have been able to learn, the insertion of news items is temporary during the beta phase. It will then be replaced with targeted advertising based on browsing or other history of the sender and/or addressee. This could have even more significant issues than random news items.

If this is not stopped very soon, I for one will most certainly be leaving BT.  

Guru
AllanQuatermain

[ Edited ]

This shameful event has gone without any comment apart from Paddy who has passed it on - thanks :smileyhappy:

However, I am now compromised using BT e-mail in my work [and in a personal capacity] because of the Yahoo bloatware inserted without consultation, or consent.

As I know, BT management read these boards and never if rarely comment I would say they/them should have owned this issue by now.

I shall annul all BT e-mail contacts and forthwith, and I have to say I am nothing if not very dissapointed with the formal [not the mod team] response to this issue from BT.

This the most serious issue I have come over on my time on this forum, and the response from BT is deafening by its silence.

This is a disgrace I want and will have no part in. I am a let down customer, and I am very angry about this.

I am migrating my e-mail accounts now, to a more trustworthy provider.

AQ.

Beginner
bgladys

[ Edited ]

We'll soon start seeing (and I'm surprised it's not happening already), BT forum moderators deleting comments critical of this latest bout of despicable behaviour and, quite likely, banning prople who persist in decrying it.

Much the same happened over the Phorm issue; where BT worked with Phorm - a company with its roots in generating and pushing malware - began intercepting the browsing of several thousand customers, checking their data stream to see what they were looking at and using that data to feed them targetted ads. All without asking them. They even denied they were interfering with the data traffic.

All in all, this looks like yet another hamfisted peice of nastiness.

See more info about BTYahoo forging email content here: https://nodpi.org/forum/index.php/topic,4788.0.html

More on  Privacy issues at https://nodpi.org and https://nodpi.org/forum/

Phorm and its activities: https://nodpi.org/forum/index.php/board,1.0.html

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

There has been nothing posted so far which is against forum rules. The forum moderators have very little influence on the way that Yahoo operate their business, which is all about making money from advertising.

They can provide some feedback to Yahoo via the normal BT channels. Unless BT decided to choose a different partner to handle their e-mail, which seems unlikely at the moment, then I doubt that things will change.

Everyone does have the option of using other e-mail accounts like Gmail, but Google themselves have also recently changed their privacy policy.

People can of course pay an independant e-mail provider, and be free of the adverts and tracking, which is what I believe  AQ is going to do.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.