Beginner
Stoney

Bt email account compromised

Hi

My primary email address was compromised while i was away last week saying i was stuck in Ukraine and needed money to get home, i got informed by a few friends texing or phoning me up. I swapped my password and phoned up asking to see if i could get rid of my primary email account and use my secondary address as my new primary. After being left on hold for 5 minutes the lady came back and said it would be sorted in the next 24 hours, but it still has not been done 4 days later.

Is it possible to swap primary accounts? A friend replied to the hackers and has got 2 Western Union accounts to send the money to, who do i report this to?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Simon

Guru
Andy_N

Re: Bt email account compromised

Stoney wrote:

Hi

My primary email address was compromised while i was away last week saying i was stuck in Ukraine and needed money to get home, i got informed by a few friends texing or phoning me up. I swapped my password and phoned up asking to see if i could get rid of my primary email account and use my secondary address as my new primary. After being left on hold for 5 minutes the lady came back and said it would be sorted in the next 24 hours, but it still has not been done 4 days later.

Is it possible to swap primary accounts? A friend replied to the hackers and has got 2 Western Union accounts to send the money to, who do i report this to?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Simon

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

For starters, in case you've not done so already, login to webmail and remove the forwarding email address. The hackers will have set this up, so that any emails to your address will go to them.

If you're not sure where to go, it's on Mail Options/Pop & Forwarding.

Wih regard your email address being compromised, you frankly need to consider how this has happened. Have you perhaps responded to a phish email, or given away some personal info - e.g. on Facebook or other social sites.

If your friend has got those 2 WU accounts, then I would inform WU and possibly the police.