Beginner
frazeramey

Re: Bt home hub 3 software download needed

Thanks. It mentions that some older laptops won't work with the N wireless technology, do you know how to check if my wireless software is compatible as the laptop is new to me but not a new laptop. 

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

frazeramey wrote:

Thanks. It mentions that some older laptops won't work with the N wireless technology, do you know how to check if my wireless software is compatible as the laptop is new to me but not a new laptop. 

Unless it specifically says that the wireless card is wireless "n" compatible, then its safe to assume that it isn`t.

Most new PCs usually have a sticker on them with the notice "Wireless "n" capable", or something similar.

If it more than two years old, then its unlikely, so you may as well just set the home hub to b/g and not b/g/n.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
frazeramey

Sorry for being an idiot but what is b/g and b/g/n and how do I change it. Thanks

Sage
john46

they are wireless settings within your hub settings
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

I don`t have a home hub 3, just a home hub 1, however there should be an option on the home hub menu to alter the wireless mode, probably under advanced settings.

Perhaps someone here with a home hub 3 can point you in the right direction?

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Sage
john46

enter 192.168.1.254 into your browser address bar the you will find a password page enter the details asked for then select services then wireless then were it says wireless interface type there is a pull down menu select wireless b/g then click on apply and the setting is saved
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Beginner
frazeramey

I am very frustrated. I tried the above suggestions and unfortunately still no joy. My lastest idea is that my laptop only has a wireless Lan IEEE802.11b standard and maybe I need to change something on the home hub to make it work. Any ideas?

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

frazeramey wrote:

I am very frustrated. I tried the above suggestions and unfortunately still no joy. My lastest idea is that my laptop only has a wireless Lan IEEE802.11b standard and maybe I need to change something on the home hub to make it work. Any ideas?

Very unlikely, unless its very old. You could always try a modern USB wireless dongle in the laptop, some are very tiny, and work to wireless "n" standard.

Beginner
frazeramey

I have just checked and I do not have a default gateway is this normal?
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

No default gateway means no Internet connection, so its not normal.

The default gateway should be 192.168.1.254.

One of the reasons I recommend to people that they alter their network setting to a static IP address, is because you have to set the default gateway manually, so it never goes missing, neither does the DNS server.

You may like to look at my wireless help page here Wireless Help

It mentions using a static address. Which operating system does your laptop use?