Aspiring Expert
socmwils23

Bt homehub and hard drives

I am trying to use  hard drive connected to a homehub 3.0 so that all computers in the household can access it.  The idea is to save photos and home movies etc.  In the house are 2 windows 7 computers (one connected by ethernet the other wireless), a mac connected by ethernet) and a WDTV Live also connected by ethernet.  The hard drive is an iomega 1TB drive.

Having a browse of the forums last night i worked out i needed the drive formatted to FAT32. With this completed i was able to map the drive on the ethernet connected windows computer.  I was then able to save things to it accordingly.  All going well so far.

Then i connected with the wireless windows 7 computer and mapped the drive on there.  I could see the files i had previously saved and all was well.  The WDTV works great as well.  So where is the problem?

Well firstly the mac can see the drive although it cannot access it.  It just says it isnt available.  I thought the mac may pose issues as there are various posts on here about it.

The second problem is that when using the windows computers this morning the drive was missing.  I had to remap the drive again.  This was the same on both computers.  I then rebooted to see if it would "stick" and it was gone again and needed remapping.

The WDTV still works perfectly and can se the drive and connect to it no problems at all.

Now being new to all this im not sure what im doing wrong or if this is even the best way of doing it.  Would it be better to connect the drive to the mac (which is on pretty much all the time) and share that on my network?  It certainly seems quicker when saving documents as when attached to the homehub it takes a long time to move files across.

Sorry for the rambling post ill try and summarise:

1) Is the homehub usb drive the best solution for sharing a hard drive?

2) Why does the mapping of the drive vanish when the computer is rebooted

3) why cant the mac access the drive?

4) is the file transfer to the homehub drive normally slow or am i doing something else wrong?

Contributor
tecmic

Re: Bt homehub and hard drives

A USB connection isn't going to be fast xfer!  The latest USB version (USB3) is quicker, but this won't feature in older equipment.  What version is the hub running on?

Like other aspects of computing device connectivity is improving all the time.

I'm curious to know what you think of the wireless connected PC...how does it compare with the Ethernet connection on Internet response/speed?  I'll be using an Infinity - Win 7 64bit through a wifi connection (when bt get off their Rss)

Aspiring Expert
socmwils23

The usb drive when connected to the computer is significantly faster than when it is connected to the homehub.  It streams to the wdtv live perfectly either way.  Thats why i was wondering if it was normal or i hadnt set something up correctly.  I know i must be doing something wrong as i have to map the drive on each logon and the mac can see it but not access it.

As for the wireless query id say it is fine for what we need.  It is the wifes laptop and she isnt interested in a wireless n adapter as in her words i was used to 2 meg so this is fantastic.  She gets about 18 meg download currently on wireless g.  This is compared to 37-38 on a wired connection.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

The CPU in the hub has to handle everything, wheras a PC has special hardware to deal with USB devices, and can transfer data with minimal CPU usage.

So a PC is always going to be faster. A NAS is usually the best option for shared storage.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Contributor
tecmic

Mmm...interesting.  I could live with 18meg D/L but I'm anticipating a bit faster with 'N' in the HH3.  'N' is theorectically able to achieve 300Mbps but typically produces around 130Mbps. 

Currently, I can stream a 1080P HD film from my Win7 laptop to the television through an Apple TV with no discernable degradation and that's through a half metre thick stone wall...dmittedley, there is an open doorway but not in line-of-sight!  Naturally, the Apple TV has no problem with any Apple stuff, including iPhone and iPad2....nice bit of kit.

Re. storage...The laptop has a 500Gb HDD, which I thought would last me a lifetime...no chance!  With over 20 full length films, around 10,500 photos averaging 4.5 Mb each, a copy of Ghost Recon, a flight simulation, x number of apps, Win7 64bit...doo da, doo da, there's not much left!  (and Win7 wants at least a Gb to play with!)

I did have a NAS but it needed too much manual fidding for my purposes, so I backup stuff to mini drives, which are getting bigger by the minute!! 

Aspiring Contributor
athlonoc

As I've mentioned earlier, I'm only getting less than one meg a second on data transfer wirelessly from USB 1.5Tb WD hard drive connected to HH3 through to my Laptop.

Seems way to slow considering the HH3 is connected wirelessly for data transfer up to 130Mb.

Shouldn't it be better than that. If not it will be far quicker to unplug each time and connect direct to PC.

Lee

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

The processor in the home hub is simply not fast enough to deal with good data transfer over the USB port, as well as all the other higher priority tasks that it has to do.

A PC has dedicated hardware to do this task, which hardly involves using the processor at all.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor
VarSyn

i suggest you just get a NAS, will be easier to deal with in the long run and has more features such as properly streaming to consoles, backups etc

though i did have my printer running through HH1 Ages ago it was horrificly slow to say the least
Distinguished Guru
gg30340

Hi VarSyn, good suggestion but I take it you never noticed this post is over 18 months old so hopefully the OP has it sorted out by now.

"If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, click the white star"