Contributor
oldie68

Can't log in to BT Yahoo - some problem with cookies.

I've just tried to log in to my email account via BT Yahoo, and been rejected. The reason given is that "The browser you're using refuses to sign in. (cookies rejected)".

My browser (IE8) is set to accept first party cookies and reject third party ones.

I can send and receive messages via Windows Live Mail - I'd decided to have another bash at trying to get a second email address "recognised" or "authorised" or whatever it is.

I can't recall ever being given an opportunity to accept or reject BT's cookie policy, whatever it may be.

Presumably this is the effect of a recent EU rule about cookies - most sites now offer you a chance to accept or reject their policy, though usually they don't tell you what the policy is.

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

Re: Can't log in to BT Yahoo - some problem with cookies.

Is the stuff at the bottom of this page any use?

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Contributor
oldie68

The change cookie settings? I've changed mine to 'functional', but won't that only apply to these forums? What I need is something similar for BT Yahoo, but presumably I can only get that once I've loggged in.

Contributor
oldie68

I've solved it - and it's not a new problem, it's an old one. I did a google search, and found various postings on forums, going back to about 2007 (on the first page of results - there may be earlier ones).

The problem is caused by 'bt.yahoo' or just 'yahoo' being shown as "block" in a list within internet options. I can only imagine this is caused by them showing up as third party cookies on another website, and thus being blocked.

Tools | Internet Options | Privacy | Sites will take you to a list of 'managed sites', a check showed no 'bt', but a couple of 'yahoos'. I simply removed them, and I can now login to my mail. I also reset my cookie options so that it now asks me whether to block third party cookies.