Aspiring Contributor
Explorer

Cannot access to btinternet emails now - keep asking for password

Hello,

I have been using my btinternet account for many years. I was able to access to my mail account yesterday but today it keeps asking for my password eveytime I want to read any new emails. I have entered the password but it keeps rejecting it.

Is there an issue or is it me?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Explorer.

Aspiring Contributor
Explorer

Re: Cannot access to btinternet emails now - keep asking for password

I have fixed it by resetting my password (using the same password) via my Yahoo account on the internet. Not sure what happened there!

Regards,

Explorer

Expert
vofsanity2

[ Edited ]

This is a common problem. Try logging in and out of webmail and then trying your email client again.

This is usually only a temporary cure but if it works report the issue to the forum moderators as they have requested.

If it does not work then you have another type of fault and you need to supply more details.

Our posts crossed.  Normally you do not need to reset the password. Logging in and out is sufficient.

Beginner
Jaytee

Hi, I've also suddenly found access to a long-standing btinternet.com email address has been blocked. Each morning for the last 4 days, after starting pc & MS Outlook; 1 of the 2 email addresses won't allow access, saying email address & password don't match.

Each day I have successfully overcome this through BT Broadband Desktop help and changing the password. However, I'm concerned at what might be behind this sudden non-acceptance of the password.

It is on the primary account - the secondary is unaffected.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Jaytee

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

@ Jaytee  Are you sure that you need to change your password each time? The password-rejection problem has been around for some time, and a temporary fix can be to log in to webmail then log out again. This usually allows your email client to connect, though sometimes very temporarily. 

Obviously, you need to log in to change your password. It's probably that alone, rather then going on to change your password, which is providing a temporary cure. To confirm this, next time it happens try just logging and out of webmail without changing your password.

Even if that's right, it's still a way short of the permanent cure which many people are waiting for.

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
steveelphick

Re: Cannot access to btinternet email's now - keep asking for password

This has now been happening to me now for the past 2 weeks

I  am using Windows 7 and Mcrosift Outlook and iPhone, and the password is required for both Outlook and iPhone.

Yes changing the password helps for about 20 minutes, and surprise surprise they want my password again

I have been using a ********@btinternet.com account since my first dial up now on fibre optic broadband

What annoys me is that there is NOBODY to talk to that can one assist me or two knows what the problem is?

Why is there not set up instructions for MS Outlook on BT website, only Outlook Express?

Beginner
Jaytee

Thanks for response. I'll try the login/logout process next time there's a problem; though since posting this hasn't recurred!

Weird!

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

steveelphick wrote:

Why is there not set up instructions for MS Outlook on BT website, only Outlook Express?

There are http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25882

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

AlanCrease

turn off the synch on your mobile devices.

The BT server lets only one access your mailbox.

That fixed it for me - after a lot of silly suggestions about settings

Beginner
Wright469

I have been having this problem since nov last year on and off - updated to get BT Openzone and had password reset by BT assistant and since then have same problem, I am using the same phone (iPhone 3GS) for last 3 years and laptop with no issues via webmail, and only get the error message that password is invalid on primary account not secondary one. I just reset password on Safari and then re-entered on phone and it worked!

Obviously this is an ongoing issue, but I don't see why I have only started getting it, BT say that because my emails work fine on laptop the problem is with my phone, I call helpline for phone and they say it's BT's fault!