Aspiring Expert
Ewaawoowaa

Cant get wireless printer working with Home Hub 3

Hi,

I am tearing my hair out trying to get my new printer working wirelessly with the homehub 3.

The printer is an epson bx305fw.  It connects to the homehub and i can see it in the list of connected devices when I go to the homepage of the hub but none of my computers will find it.  The computers are a mix of xp, windows 7 and vista and none of them will find the printer, with or without the install cd. 

It's driving me nuts. 

Does anyone have any ideas or can walk me through some kind of manual install?

Aspiring Contributor
Telephone-Bill

Re: Cant get wireless printer working with Home Hub 3

WARNING: non-techie here! But I hope this helps.  I had similar problem with Hub wired to XP computer and wireless link to second computer running W7 and wired to printer. Getting them to work together was a nightmare, they never worked properly, never mind getting the printer going.

First, I found you need correct printer driver on each machine. Then, I spent ages on printing before finding that Kaspersky IS 2010 was preventing XP machine from printing via the W7 machine. I had to change network permissions, then it worked provided the W7 was not asleep. It seems that W7, XP and Vista don't work together as they should. I have since changed XP for another W7 and network works fine.

Aspiring Expert
Ewaawoowaa

Thanks for your reply. 

It isn't the compatability thats the issue.  I can't get it connected to any PC as a first time wireless connection.

I unpacked it, started the install on my xp machine and the printer isnt found.  I disable my firewall and still isnt found.  Even the proper install from the cd that comes with the printer stops and says installation failed because the printer cannot be found on the network.  But the printer definitely is connected to the home hub because it shows as a connected device when i browse to 192.168.1.254.

Sage
john46

Hi It may be a silly question but is the pc you are trying to connect to wireless enabled ???
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Expert
Ewaawoowaa

Eh? it wouldnt matter if they were or not.  As it happens they are connected wirelessly but even if they were connected via ethernet they should find the printer.

The situation is this:

The printer is connected to the HH by wireless.  The PC is connected to the homehub by wireless.  The PC cannot find the printer.

Expert
geaves

[ Edited ]

Ewaawoowaa wrote:

Eh? it wouldnt matter if they were or not.  As it happens they are connected wirelessly but even if they were connected via ethernet they should find the printer.

The situation is this:

The printer is connected to the HH by wireless.  The PC is connected to the homehub by wireless.  The PC cannot find the printer.

Hi, log into the hub and note the ip address of the printer, on the W7 PC,

Start>Devices and Printers

Right Click>Add printer

Select Add Network Bluetooth option

Search box pops, select the option The printer that I want isn't listed

Next box ensure that Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname is selected>Next

Next box type in the ip address of the printer you've obtained from the Hub>Next

After that follow the instructions, probably be install driver, if it is then click have disk and point to your cd drive.

If all goes well it should install, you may the be able to login to the printer via its ip address using a browser, don't know.

The best option to set this up is to connect the computer to the hub via ethernet rather than wireless, set up up the printer, then disconnect the ethernet and the computer will 'talk' to the printer wirelessly, 

Aspiring Expert
Ewaawoowaa

[ Edited ]

Right after messing all evening I have finally got it sorted and it is a strange situation.

When I pinged the IP address of the printer it was dead.  No reply.  So, I tried reducing the security of the homehub from the maximum (wpa and wpa2) to just wpa.  Lo and behold it works and the printer can be pinged and connected to now.  I have no idea why this is.

Guru
AllanQuatermain

[ Edited ]

I tore my hair out on this as well.

In the end, I have to say, I set up a cable connection.  Whether twas the hub or the printer that was guilty I dont know, but "wires work" when wi fi doesnt :smileyvery-happy:

It might be an important issue on a nuclear submarine, but it aint here in AQ-ville and life's too short IMHO. :smileywink:

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

Beginner
donalanvickers

Much the same problem here with an HP printer. Printer still has the settings for my old hub and not the new BT hub.

Uninstalled printer and all associated HP progs and then reinstalled the printer at which stage it picked up the new settings for the BT hub.

Ran the installation again on a second laptop  and now all OK

Richard1950