Beginner
sprysorjones

Closing btopenworld email account

How do I close an old Primary btopenworld email account? Thanks

Guru
AllanQuatermain

Re: Closing btopenworld email account

By clsong your contract with BT down.

If  instead of the above you want to associate another a/c as the primary account instead of the current one; AFAIK that can only be done at the BT end of the chain. You might try a call to customer services or a request to a moderator.

[Noted that this is a duplicate post btw] 

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

Aspiring Contributor
pngchetnole

I've suddenly started to receive countless unsolicited **bleep** advertising emails addressed to a  ...@btopenworld.com email address which I didn't know I had and have never used.

This has only just started to happen so how can it be turned off please?

Thanks.

Sage
john46

your BT email address cannot be turned off it is part of your service if you if you did not know you had it and had never used it how did you find the unsolicited emails it is also used BY BT to provide you with information relating to your account
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Sage
imjolly

do you have an @btinternet.com address with the same prefix?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor
pngchetnole

John46 & imjolly,

I download my emails into Outlook. It only accesses my ...@btinternet.com address (and another non-BT). However the emails addressed to ...@btopenworld.com just started arriving recently. They are all unwanted unsolicited promotional emails and I might guess that they're being fed to customers by BT as a result of some advertising deal that BT has offered the promoters.

Well I don't want BT to feed me to promoters in a manner which I can't control. I have been trying to cancel the 'subscriptions' using their links but it doesn't seem to work.

I feel I've been hijacked in an underhand way and want it to stop.

Can anyone please help by suggesting how to contact BT about this instead of questioning my problem?

Many thanks.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Both @btopenworld and @btinternet are the same, so you can`t cancel one without the other.

The easiest way is to setup a mail filter on the BT Yahoo webmail interface, to direct @btopenworld mails to the deleted  or spam folder.

Then they will not be downloaded by Outlook.

Its very simply to do.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Guru
Andy_N

pngchetnole wrote:

John46 & imjolly,

I download my emails into Outlook. It only accesses my ...@btinternet.com address (and another non-BT). However the emails addressed to ...@btopenworld.com just started arriving recently. They are all unwanted unsolicited promotional emails and I might guess that they're being fed to customers by BT as a result of some advertising deal that BT has offered the promoters.

Well I don't want BT to feed me to promoters in a manner which I can't control. I have been trying to cancel the 'subscriptions' using their links but it doesn't seem to work.

I feel I've been hijacked in an underhand way and want it to stop.

Can anyone please help by suggesting how to contact BT about this instead of questioning my problem?

Many thanks.

Hi.

In addition to the info from Keith, never ever unsubscribe from somethng you never subscribed to in the first place. All this will do is inform spammers that a mail account is active, and can increase the amount of spam received.

Aspiring Contributor
pngchetnole

Thanks Keith !