Beginner
Lynndm
Accepted Solution

Closure of talk21 email account

Can anyone advise if there is a way to download or copy all of my stored email folders and individual messages. I am anxious to complete this task before my account is closed in September.
Distinguished Guru
gg30340

Re: Closure of talk21 email account

If you download and install an email client such as Thunderbird and set it up as an IMAP, not POP, account. This will replicate your folders and download them onto your computer.

"If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, click the white star"
Beginner
Lynndm

Thank you for your quick reply and advice but how easy is this to set up as I don't understand what you mean about setting it up as an MAP, not POP, account?
Distinguished Guru
gg30340

Have a read through these links.

Basically it is how you access your email. If you use IMAP it replicates what is on your webmail account which includes all your folders and you can download and save them. If you use POP it will not replicate the folders you have set up on the webmail account and you will not be able to download them.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/features/

http://www.howtogeek.com/99423/email-whats-the-difference-in-pop3-imap-and-exchange/

"If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, click the white star"
Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

You could do it manually with POP but it might be very time-consuming if you have lots of folders to keep. Clear the BT Yahoo! Inbox, move all the messages in a folder there, download messages to the email client, move them to a pre-prepared folder; repeat for each folder.

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.