Aspiring Contributor
Borrel
Accepted Solution

Connecting Epson printers wirelessly to BT home hub 2

Greetings

New to this forum.

I bought an Epson printer SX445W last April and tried to use it wirelessly. All went well for about three days, then the printer stopped communicating. Epson said it was the fault of the hub / router. I re-installed the printer, and it worked again, then stopped after two / three days. Eventually after much arguing with BT and Epson, I gave it up, and only used the printer with my desktop.

Recently I bought an additional printer, an Epson WF 3010 and had exactly the same problems. It works fine for a few days, then stops communicating. I've searched this forum and found many such problems, but only a few solutions, and those have not been relevant to my situation.

I would welcome some help with this

Sage
imjolly

Re: Connecting Epson printers wirelessly to BT home hub 2

did you try chnaging the wifi from b/g/n to just b/g in the HH2?

you can try downloading inssider2.2 (istumbler if MAC) and then run it. This will show the broadcasting networks round about you and their channels including your own. If you then enter your router and change your wireless channel to a free or less congested channel.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

There is some help on this page.

Help with setting up routers, wireless repeaters, TVs and printers, VOIP Phones

I will look at the manual and see if there is anything specific to your printer.

Which one of the two printers do you specifically want to use?

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor
Borrel

Thanks for the help, Sages, much appreciated. I have gone into the hub manager and removed the h to make it just b/g (not sure what the h does, but I can always change it back!). I also note that the channel selection is set to auto. I wonder if this is the problem, that every so often the channel is changed by the hub, and I lose the printers? If so I could go through each channel until I find the one the printers are set to, and lock it in. Does that make sense?

Aspiring Contributor
Borrel

The main machine I need is the Work Force - WF3010. Thanks for your help
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Locking the wireless channel should help quite a bit, as the smart wireless feature can cause disconnections.

I wii look at the WF3010 and see if there is any thing specific that you need to do.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor
Borrel

Okay, Keith, thanks. In the meantime I will go through each channel to see if I can locate which one the machine was originally working on.

Thanks again
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

I cannot see anything specific to that printer that would cause it to keep disconnecting.

The only two things which normally cause problems are:-

Wireless interference, or the home hub smart wireless changing channels, you are already looking into that.

Printer IP address changing due to the renewing of the DHCP lease.

This can be overcome by manually setting the printer to a fixed IP address, as I have described

here.

Important - help with printers

Looking at your printer manual, this can be done from the front panel.

See the text in bold, copied from this link.

http://support.epson-europe.com/onlineguides/en/wp3010_nwg/html/setpn_3.htm

IP address allocation setting:
Normally, the broadband router or access point will automatically allocate an IP address to the printer using the DHCP function. If your router (or access point) DHCP function is on, set the TCP/IP setting so that the printer acquires an IP address automatically.
To allocate a unique IP address to the printer, select manual setting, and enter the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway.
DNS server setting:
To specify the DNS server address, select the manual setting, and enter the addresses for the primary DNS server and secondary DNS server.

Guru
Devon_Dave

To confirm what Keith has said, with all the network printers I have ever had I have always had to give it a fixed IP.

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Devon_Dave wrote:

To confirm what Keith has said, with all the network printers I have ever had I have always had to give it a fixed IP.

You are quite right, how else is a computer going to keep connected to a printer if its IP address keeps changing :smileywink:

DHCP was only really intended for use on devices that roam between networks, it can cause a lot of issues if you use it on your home network, except for portable devices like phones and laptops, that are used outside of your house.