Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor

Connecting external Hard Drives to Home Hub 5

I ordered my HH5 today in the assumption that I'd be able to connect my 2TB USB3 external hard drive and be able to stream media content to my Sony TV.

I probably should have asked this question before ordereing the HH5 but anyway!!

So can anyone that has the HH5 tell me if they have tried connecting an external HDD to it and whether it worked or not!?  I know that I can't get my NTFS formatted HDD to work with the HH3 but was rather hoping that BT would have sorted this out with the HH5. Surely it's a fairly basic feature to be able to connect an NTFS formatted drive to a router via USB to work as a NAS device?

Thanks in advance for any advice that anyone can offer.

Expert

Re: Connecting external Hard Drives to Home Hub 5

I haven't tried but I think your chances of it working with NTFS formatted drives are small. This is still even now not an officially supported feature and there are licensing issues to contend with. It should be possible as I believe the device uses a linux kernel and NTFS support is far better now but there might also be an implication on load on the router CPU.
Expert

Hmm just had a thought has anyone tried to format a drive as ext4?
Distinguished Sage

I don't know if the HH5 will be any better but all the other homehubs were hopeless at allowing external hard drives or anything else for that matter, to connect via USB. Some people managed to get it to work while some did not. The best solution is, as I am sure you know, is to get a dedicated NAS drive.

Recently got a HH5, so tried various external devices on the USB port. All mu USB sticks up to 64Gb work ok, believe they are all FAT32. Then tried an external Seagate USB hard drive - which is 300Gb, NTFS. That works ok as well. But my new Toshiba external 3Tb USB hard drive, also NTFS (and purchased from the BT shop) shows up as "unsupported device". So I guess from that, there is a size limit beyond which the HH5 USB can't cope?

Hope it helps.

I've had exactly the same situation.  A 500gb Samsung NTFS hard drive will work but a 3TB drive won't

Aspiring Expert

I have a NTFS Western Digital MyBook Live 2 TB external drive plugged into my HH5 using an RJ45 connector.

All in the house who have mapped the drive and I have given access rights to can access it.

The only challange is my Norton Back Up sometimes struggles to connect when it runs automatically but I belive this to be a Norton issue,

Distinguished Sage

TimSmedley

That would appear to be a NAS drive. This topic was about connecting using the USB port on the HH5.

I've also got the same issue with the HH5.

Previously using a HH4 with two Western Digital External Drives (1 x 750 Byte & 1 x 2 TByte) connected via a USB hub into the USB port on the rear.

By just typing "run \\192.168.1.254" I could see both devices and map them as separate network drives.

With the HH5 I can only see the 750 Mbyte Drive (through the USB hub)

- Connect both Drives and cannot see either.

- Connect only the 2 Tbyte Drive and nothing is seen.

I'm thinking its a size limit or the fact the larger Drive is USB 3.0 rather than USB 2.0.

- But why can the older HH4 see both devices??

They've definitely removed some functionality from the rear USB Port on the HH5.

Hopefully BT will release a software / firmware update and bring the functionality back.

- Otherwise, I guess NAS Drive is the way forward via the GigE ports.

Any help greatly appreciated :smileyhappy: 

I am using a 1TB USB3 NTFS HDD in a HH5 and am getting terrible trandfer speeds. Wired and Wireless.

We are talking 1-2Meg

Can anyone tell me if this is a formatting issue?

Is there a native format to the router which would require less resources and speed it up?

Many Thanks